SV Alex II

Te kore te wiwia

16 March 2012
25 February 2012
31 January 2012
05 January 2012
02 January 2012
02 January 2012 | La Paz, Mexico
24 December 2011
11 December 2011 | La Paz area
23 November 2011 | La Paz
17 November 2011 | La Paz
16 November 2011 | La paz
12 October 2011 | Mazatlan
27 September 2011 | Mazatlan, Mexico
24 September 2011 | mazatlan
15 September 2011 | Mazatlan
03 September 2011 | Still mazatlan
26 August 2011
24 August 2011 | Mazatlan
21 August 2011 | Mazatlan

Life in La Cruz

25 February 2012
This years plans appear to have been unduely effected by weather. However, this has meant an unplanned and extended stay in La Cruz. If you are going to get stuck anywhere this is the place to get stuck in. The anchorage is full, the marina pretty full and the social life active. The village has changed but still has the uniqueness which makes it so special. Fresh tuna for sushi from the market, Tacos on the Street, Sandra's on sat or sunday nights. A choice of music venue every night. The sunday market, dockside gatherings, projects galore. A chance to polish the hull and topsides, clean the bottom, fix all the items on the list and then invent some more. Expeditions to Mega, Home depot, Sams club and of course Zaragoza, the most expensive marine store ever. Above all it has meant more time with friends both old and new and that is the the biggest benefit of this extended stay. Soon it will be time to move north and begin the summer adventures in the Sea. I am looking foreward to meeting up with friends in La Paz and the Loretta fest. Preparations begin for the 5 month venture into the more remote parts of the Sea of Cortez, where internet access is not readily available. I have been busy downloading films , TV series. music and books onto my new hard drive. These external hard drives are amazing and so far I have copied from various boats 200+ films, dozens of TV series, 1200 books and enough music to play for six months continouly without repeating a song.I have sold of one of my Shade Trees as I will only use the shade cover from the mast back to the aft of the boat. I intend to shut off the foreward V berth of the boat. Have started to stock the boat wth dry goods and am now thinking about sleeping arrangements in the cockpit. From what I understand it may be more comfortable to sleep in the open air, perhaps in a hammock, rather than down below in the heat of the summer. Last summer was hot as hell in Mazatlan but tied to the dock I had the comfort of Air Conditioning. At anchor this will not be the case and I will have to rely on Sea breezes. However, being further north and away from the mainland the temperautres should be slightly less and the humidty much less so my train of thought leads me to believe I can cope with the heat. They say " life long friendships are built in the Sea"

So just need to complete the 185 miles to Mazatlan followed by the 190 to Meurtos and then 45 to la Paz and it's plain sailing from that point onwards, mainly made up of short day sails. I am looking forward to the 350 mile trip up the Baja to the Bay of LA, which is my intended base for the summer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alex II
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passge 42
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand - Aotearoa
Crew: Kevan Draper
About: Preparation for Puddle Jump in 2013/14 . Plan is to take yacht through the Pacific to Australia after crusing the Gulf of California/Sea of Cortez/ Central America/ then jump from Panama to the Galipagos, Tahiti on westward
Extra: Crew positions available.

Alex II

Who: Kevan Draper
Port: Auckland, New Zealand - Aotearoa
Aotearoa - The land of the long white cloud
To new days, new challenges, new friends and reaching dry land