Gone Sailing on Alizé

Our trip to find the sun. If we get lost we will just pull in somewhere and ask directions.

24 November 2013 | Bitter End
18 November 2013 | Crown Bay
18 November 2013 | Brewer's Bay St Thomas VI
11 November 2013 | Norfolk
03 November 2013 | Portsmouth
01 November 2013 | Portsmouth VA
21 October 2013 | Fishing Bay south to Norfolk
18 October 2013 | Coming down the Bay
12 October 2013 | Dennis Point MD
11 October 2013 | Dennis Point Marina, Maryland
24 August 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
24 August 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
09 January 2011 | Stock Island Fl
08 January 2011 | Stock Island
27 December 2010 | Key West
25 December 2010 | Key West
18 December 2010 | Flemming Key
17 December 2010 | Key West
05 December 2010 | Ft Lauderdale

Eating out in the Keys

08 January 2011 | Stock Island
John
Key West Dining

The lower Keys are an interesting archipelago. They depend almost solely on the tourist dollar but if you look hard enough once you are off of Duval St. you can find an eclectic gathering of small restaurants that are above the grab for the drunken frat boy business. We have tried many of Key West's offerings and here are some of our favorites in no particular order. There are too many to do in one days' blog so I will continue the reviews tomorrow.

Schooner Wharf Bar...

We headed here because it is dog friendly and, in a town that purports to be dog friendly, that is becoming a rarity. Apparently the board of health has banned dogs unless they are outside on a deck or patio and that is all Schooner Wharf is. A collection of plastic tables and chairs surrounded by the trappings of an old time working wharf draws cruise ship patrons and few locals. Charles Kuralt billed it as "the center of the universe..." and it becomes so for many a tourist. It apparently is listed on the must see, must do list handed out by the activity director on the cruise ship (along with Sloppy Joes and Margaritaville). Fortunately there are a few regulars left at Schooner Wharf Bar; the other two bars have not seen a local for many years.

The food here is not bad if you come for bar food. The Caribbean Chicken Wings rate an A+ and the burgers a B. Service is pretty good for a restaurant with no set placement of tables or aisles. It is usually crowded until the cruise ship horn blows and the lemmings hurry back to the mother ship.

One thing that does set the Schooner Wharf apart from the other bars in town is the quality of the music. Singer song writers prevail and the band stand is tucked into a corner that doesn't overload one's ability to talk. Michael McCloud is our favorite.

Even though it has the usual tourist crowd you shouldn't miss having a meal here and enjoying the atmosphere along the wharf.

Sandy's/M&M Laundry

When it time to get away from the tourists and have lunch with the local blue collar set head to the M&M Laundromat and order through the window in the wall that is Sandy's. There are no tables here; you either sit on wicker love seats in the laundromat or stand outside on the sidewalk leaning up against a shelf. The food is mostly sandwiches, rice and beans or wraps. The locals must come hungry as the sandwiches are all so large they easily feed two.

It was here, while doing laundry, that we discovered the "cuban mix" a local version of the cuban sandwich It adds salami, lettuce tomato and mayo to the usual cuban sandwich.

Even if you don't have laundry to do make this your first lunch stop while in Key West. It is at the corner of White and Virginia. It is just one block off of Truman. But beware; the Google Map location has Sandy's in the wrong location.

Geiger Key Marina & Campground

You meet a lot of friendly people when you live in a marina and a couple named Jeff and Cathy stopped by the boat one evening to talk about sailing. During the conversation they mentioned a cookout at a campground on the next Key to the east. For $18.95 you get your choice of two of the following; ribs, chicken, shrimp or mahi, along with baked beans, coleslaw, rice and corn bread. The plate struggled to hold all of the food but I managed to get it to the picnic table along the water and ate to my stomach's content while watching the sun set over the Winnebago's. Draft PBR's are served in plastic glasses to wash it all down while listening to live music. On Saturday nights they change the menu to steak on the grill. We gave this experience a definite A+.

Mallory Square

I feel I must rant, on what I am sure you hope will be one last time, about the cruise ships. My tolerance level for 5,000 tourists dropped in a small town was low to begin with but now they let the ships stay though sunset completely blocking the sunset view from Mallory Square. The Square is a gathering of street artists who come to perform for the crowds which come to see the southernmost sunset. Now all you see from the Square is the 1,000 foot long slap of steel that completely eclipses any view of the waterfront and leaves a long cold shadow over the performers. Key West has sold its soul to the cruise lines. Rumor has it that at one time the ships had to be gone by 5:00 so the land bound sun worshipers could enjoy the sunset but that is no longer the case. But, if not for the cruise ship patrons who would buy the "I got drunk in Key West" t-shirts?
Comments
Vessel Name: Alizé
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 421
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: John Frazee, Joan Scholl with Sailor & Gracie, the boat dogs
About: John, Joan, Gracie and Sailor are searching for their endless summer aboard their Lagoon 421, Alize.
Alizé's Photos - Main
The plan is to never have to wear a coat again. Here it is from start to finish.
23 Photos
Created 15 October 2013
In July of 2012 it was time to paint the hull for the first tome since we bought the boat. I sailed up to Dennis Point Marina in St Mary's MD and had the boat hauled there. It was an exptremely tight fit in the 75 ton Acme lift.
28 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
We aimed for the BVI and ended up in Key West, but it wasn't all bad.
20 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
Harborfest combined with OpSail to celebrate 200 yeaars since the War of 1812. We sailed in the Parade behind Eagle & Godspeed.
40 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
Sailor & Gracie, our miniture poodles sail with us where ever we go.
8 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
Sailing to Bermuda August 4 - Aug 15, 2012
20 Photos
Created 24 August 2012