The Adventure Continues

02 April 2017
27 February 2017
10 April 2016 | Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abacos
19 March 2016 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos
12 March 2016 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos
22 March 2015 | Charlotte Harbor
10 March 2015
17 February 2015 | Marco Island, FL
29 January 2015 | Fort Pierce, FL
02 April 2014
15 March 2014 | Key West, FL
14 March 2014 | Sombrero Reef
26 February 2014 | Boot Key Harbor
17 February 2014
09 February 2014 | Fort Lauderdal, FL
06 May 2013 | Harbortown Marina, Fort Pierce, FL
22 April 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
21 April 2013 | Manjack Cay
11 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos

Stuck in Fort Lauderdale

17 February 2014
Hi folks. It's been a week or so since our last post and a lot has happened. Let me bring you up to date in chronological order.

We left West Palm, FL on Thursday, February 6th. We had a wonderful motor down the coast to Fort Lauderdale and spent a couple of days at Bahia Mar Marina. Beautiful but a tad bit pricey. After spending another ton of money on yet more boat repairs, we heading up river about a mile to Las Olas Marina. This marina was much less expensive and afforded us all the amenities we needed. Jimmy and Blanche Terracino came to visit on the 10th and we all headed up to Pompano Beach to attend the visitation of our classmate, Margaret Pittner Nelson. She passed away from the ravages of ALS disease. She was a wonderful and beautiful woman who left a wonderful husband and family behind. May she rest in peace.

In the meantime, Peg/Marg's mom had a fall and was hospitalized. She contracted a couple of infections and her dementia dramatically increased. Peg/Marg left for Cleveland on the 13th to be with her mom and I remained in Fort Lauderdale with Alize, on a mooring ball at Las Olas. I would have liked to remain in the marina but my slip was reserved by another boat and they were otherwise full. Fortunately, there were a few mooring balls available so we snagged one and I sent up bachelor quarters not knowing when Peg/Marg was going to return.

To my absolute delight, two boats arrived at the same time we did. Both were people we had seen last year in the Bahamas. Wiley and Merry aboard Les Miserable, were holding over waiting to continue south to Miami and Bill and Mary aboard Southern Vectis, were waiting for their weather window to cross to the Bahamas. We had sailed with Bill and Mary to Lake Worth in Palm Beach but left for Fort Lauderdale a few days before they did. It was very nice to reunite. So from the 13th until yesterday we had a lovely time sharing cocktail hours and dinners together. Both left yesterday on their respective journeys and I remained here. But, my friend John Kalenterides and his girlfriend Cindy Jacobson arrived on their Harleys to spend a day and night with me. What a great time we had. John has been quite ill but he rallied to make the trip down from Englewood, FL. I can't tell you how happy I was to see both of them.

So they departed this afternoon and I got the great news that Peg/Marg is flying back here on Wednesday. Her mother's condition has stabilized and she feels that there is nothing to be gained by continuing her stay there. Besides, it was -2 degrees in Chagrin Falls this morning and it's snowing. Much more pleasant here. The bad news is I only have one day to clear this boat up. Tomorrow is laundry day and I need to move a significant number of beer cans and wine bottles off the boat and into the trash.

Thursday our friends Joy and Joe Kubit are arriving from Marathon and the four of us are going to have dinner. We met them in Old Bahama Bay Marina on Grand Bahama last year and have kept in touch. So the season progresses. We expect to leave for Miami on Friday the 21st and then down to the Keys to arrive in Marathon on Monday the 24th, weather permitting. Stay tuned for the continuing adventures of Dick and Peg/Marg aboard the sailing vessel Alize.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alize
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Fort Pierce, FL
Crew: Dick & Peggy Dragonette
About: Dick and Peg have been sailing for over 25 years on Lake Erie, the Atlantic, in the Caribbean and the Bahamas. We brought our vessel from Sandusky, OH to Florida in 2011 and now alternate between our home in Chagrin Falls in Ohio during the Summer and our boat in Ft. Pierce, FL in the Winter.
Alize's Photos - Main
The water doesn't get any bluer and the sand doesn't get any softer.
33 Photos
Created 2 April 2017
Havana and Veradero
34 Photos
Created 26 February 2017
Stuff we've seen in the states and the Bahamas.
7 Photos
Created 10 April 2016
He's an institution in the Bahamas
9 Photos
Created 19 March 2016
Our first two weeks in paradise with our friend Wendell
9 Photos
Created 12 March 2016
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
13 Photos
Created 17 February 2015
Our good friend Lee and Bahamas friends Ed and Chris meet in Ft. Pierce.
5 Photos
Created 29 January 2015
14 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
15 Photos
Created 15 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 14 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 26 February 2014
Chapter 3 of our ongoing adventure.
5 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
A Presidential Yacht pays a visit
5 Photos
Created 6 May 2013
On the way home.
11 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
Conch
4 Photos
Created 11 April 2013
A different view of Hopetown
10 Photos
Created 10 April 2013
Awaiting the arrival of our friends from Granville, OH
5 Photos
Created 9 April 2013
Views from around the harbor.
7 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
Great Guana is a very large and varied island/cay. Beautiful
6 Photos
Created 22 March 2013
Another look at a place worthy of second looks
7 Photos
Created 21 March 2013
First views of Hopetown
7 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
Staying at Mango's
5 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
Boasting one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
4 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
A very beautiful stop on our way to Marsh Harbor
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2013
5 Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Our first pics on the way and in Grand Bahama
10 Photos
Created 26 February 2013
Alize getting ready for launch the second week of January.
3 Photos
Created 6 December 2012