On the Water with All Hanz On Deck

This blog will offer an account of the voyage of two couples and a dog aboard a 33' express cruiser from Occoquan, VA, outside Washington, DC to Palmetto, FL on the Gulf Coast. This journey is due to start June 17, 2011.

26 September 2011
03 July 2011 | Palmetto, FL
01 July 2011 | Rialto Harbor, Alva, Florida
30 June 2011 | Stuart to Clewiston, FL
29 June 2011 | Cocoa to Stuart, FL
28 June 2011 | Daytona Beach to Cocoa
27 June 2011 | Jacksonville to Daytona Beach
26 June 2011 | Isle of Palms, SC
26 June 2011 | Hilton Head Island, SC
23 June 2011 | South Carolina - FINALLY
23 June 2011 | the ICW North Carolina
21 June 2011 | Southport, NC
20 June 2011 | The ICW Great Dismal Swamp Route
20 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA
20 June 2011 | Elizabeth City to Bellhaven, NC
20 June 2011 | Morehead City, NC
13 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA
09 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA
09 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA

Day XIV

30 June 2011 | Stuart to Clewiston, FL
Don
The day began with one purpose: get across Lake Okeechobee and, if possible, make it beyond the Moore Haven Lock and into the Caloosahatchie River. Our first obstacle would be the St. Lucie Lock. Due to drought conditions, it - and the Moore Haven Lock - open only twice a day - at 9am and 4pm. We got to the St. Lucie Lock about a half-hour before opening so we dropped an anchor in the channel. Make that nearly an hour before opening, because it took nearly 30 minutes for the eastbound traffic to be lowered to the canal below... and a similar amount of time for us to be raised to the next level. Once in the upper canal our GPS began to flinch. Fortunately, an Army Corps of Engineers mini-tug was surveying the canal and said we could follow them to Lake Okeechobee. Unfortunately, this added about an hour to what should have been a 20 minute trip. Once on the Lake we cruised at 25-30 mph with the Eastern Rim Canal (just 1.5' deep right now) to one side and nothing but water to our west. Okee is the second largest fresh water lake in the US after Lake Michigan! All was good until we reached the approach to the Clewiston Lock. We slowed to idle speed as the latest advisories indicated depths in the area were around 3.5 feet. We were following the magenta line on our chartplotter indicating the route we were to follow, but moments after making the turn into the approach we saw the depth finder drop to 1 foot under the keel... then heard a slight "thunk". It took nearly an hour to complete the six-mile approach as we observed water depths changing from as much as 6 feet to as little as 2-feet in a matter of seconds. Upon reaching Clewiston Lock we realized we would not be able to make the 4 pm lock opening at Moore haven so we opted to overnight at Martin's Marina. This place has everything... RV park, camping, condos, motel, tiki bar, ships store... but the marina itself has seen better days... max boat length to stop here is 35' feet... in fact, we are the only boat here this evening... although the tiki bar is packed as it is karaoke night. Back to the "thunk" we heard... we are having a mechanic stop by first thing in the morning to check the props... just in case. Time to head back upstairs, sip a glass of wine or two and take in the karaoke - gotta tell ya, Clewiston's Got Talent!
Comments
Vessel Name: All Hanz On Deck
Vessel Make/Model: Chaparral Signature 310
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Don, Judi, Jack & Susanne (and Commander Chloe)
About:
After nearly 21 years in Fairfax, VA, vessel owners Don & Judi are making a pre-retirement move to Palmetto, FL. This also involves the relocation of All Hanz On Deck, a Chaparral Signature 310 Express Cruiser. [...]
Extra:
MMSI - 338087931 LOA - 33' 4.5" Beam 10' 7.5" Bridge Clearance - 15' Deadrise - 18 Degrees Fuel Capacity - 147 Gallons Twin 275HP Volvo-Penta Gas Engines Draft-Up - 25" Draft-Down - 33" Water Capacity - 29 Gal Holding Tank - 28 Gal Cabin Headroom - 6' 6" Sleeping Capacity - 5 Passenger [...]

About

Who: Don, Judi, Jack & Susanne (and Commander Chloe)
Port: Chicago, IL