ALPENGLOW

A 38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat

01 July 2015
18 October 2014
29 September 2014 | Beaufort, North Carolina
25 July 2014 | Dillon, CO
19 June 2014 | Dillon, Colorado
13 March 2014 | March or April edition 2014
13 February 2014

Bahamas and back to the US

01 June 2014

February to June 2014: There are approximately 700 Islands in the Bahamas. We couldn't have possibly visited them all but we managed to stop at many of them. We met the most wonderful Bahamians & Cruisers. Some, we hope to meet again.
We left Double Breasted Cay for our voyage back to the US. We couldn't make it directly to Beaufort, North Carolina because of thunderstorms & wind so we stopped in Charleston, South Carolina for a few days. Afterwards, we sailed another 2 days to Beaufort, NC where we put Alpenglow on the hard for the summer.


SAND DOLLAR BEACH (Exumas): When the tide is ebbing, you can see the sand and walk quite a ways



What is this ???? It has 3 inch spikes on one side and looks like millions of feet on the other side. It's about the size of a football. Tim stepped on it and it hurt for about a week.


The water is so clear in the Exumas you can see star fish from the boat.



I was so lucky that Natalie was able to come and visit us





Pat & Dave celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary with us












David Copperfield commissioned this stainless steel grand piano and mermaid named "The Musician". It is submerged near his private Island of Musha Cay. It was installed in 2011, 4 meters below the surface. On the right, Susan is playing the piano. Notice the difference between 2011 and 2014.











Tim up the mast








DEAN'S BLUE HOLE. It is the world's deepest known blue hole. It plunges 202 meters (663 ft) in a bay west of Clarence Town on Long Island, Bahamas.







Papaya tree & Banana pod



We managed to spear many lobsters & share them with Nancy & Rick on "Angle Eyes"











You can find these beautiful carved brain corals by Bobbie, the owner of the Sumner Point Marina in Rum Cay. Unfortunately, the marina was hard hit by hurricanes and is now closed however you can dock for free but there are no amenities.










How many people can say that they biked the whole length of a runway? I did, at Rum Cay.










In San Salvadore we had strong winds so we decided to hide away in a marina. I'm really glad we did that since I got vertigo for 4 days. Here's a picture of Alpenglow and our buddy boat Angel eyes from a cemetery.


Dixon Hill Lighthouse is a short bike ride from the marina.









We were very lucky to have Rick & Nancy (Angel Eyes) lend us their hooka so we can fix our centerboard. We tied our boats together to get close enough to use the hooka. Success ! we were able to fix it. Thanks to Rick & Nancy



Here's an awesome picture of Angel Eyes I took from our boat.


While sailing to Cat Island, we caught our first fish ever ! A mutton snapper. It was YUMMY !
The "Hermitage" at Cat Island is well worth the visit











In North Beach, Eleuthera, I found the biggest Asparagus ever !



Pink Beach in Eleuthera all to ourselves


We visited a pineapple farm between Hatchet Bay & Gregory Town, Eleuthera. On the right is a pigeon pea plant.




Hatchet Bat caves in Eleuthera. It's very deep and dark, requiring at least 2 headlamps in case one goes out !










Enjoying a Jazz Festival with Krista & Phil on "Harmonium" and Brenda & Al on "Haven".











Brenda & Al got free crab from a fisherman and shared with us along with Krista, Phil, Rick & Nancy




MORE TO COME LATER ...

Comments
Vessel Name: Alpenglow
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, Hull #83
Hailing Port: Dillon, Colorado
Crew: Tim & Susan Tiefenbach
About:
Tim has been sailing since he was 6 yrs old in the San Francisco Bay area. At 16, he bought a 14' Laser that he raced and placed first several times. [...]
Extra: Tim & Susan have been racing a J29 & Etchells on Lake Dillon in Colorado. Tim sailed the Pacific from Hawaii to San Francisco and both Tim & Susan sailed from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. They also chartered sailboats in many places in the Caribean.
Social:

Alpenglow

Who: Tim & Susan Tiefenbach
Port: Dillon, Colorado