Peregrination

Peregrination is a journey, especially a long or meandering one. Our yacht is named after the "God of all Falcons", the Peregrine Falcon - the fastest animal on Earth.

Day 6 at sea - decision time

10 June 2018
Right now we’re having a great sail, a broad reach in 16-20 knots of wind and although we still have the main with a single reef we are seeing 7 knots most of the time (max boat speed about 8.4 knots). So that’ great isn’t it?

Well yes but...

Our problem is as before that we have to turn right towards Horta and between us and the Azores lies a pretty wide windless ridge which would require 2 days motoring. We have fuel for that but it would leave little more and the winds ‘on the other side’ are light and against us so we might need to motor some more.

Obviously nobody wants to head off without enough energy whether that is diesel or wind and so we will wait for the latest weather routing info this evening. At that point we will either turn to starboard on their basis that we can get to the Azores (accepting already that the light winds early this week mean we are going to be late), or we go to port and head for Lisbon. This would release John to fly to the event he’s organised and avoid us going on without enough diesel.

Here’s hoping for good news from Chris the weather man as I want to get to Horta and the party!

The photo was 2 evenings ago when we enjoyed the one glass of wine we award ourselves each day and when we had been becalmed.

[d]2018-06-10 14:45Z
Comments
Vessel Name: Al Shaheen
Vessel Make/Model: Pocock 42
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Mark and Nicola Harvey
About:
Mark and Nicola have cruised in the UK and the Med for many years and in 2018 are now exploring for the first time the delights of ocean passage making and travelling further afield. [...]
Extra:
Al Shaheen was commissioned from naval architect and long time cruiser & racer Mike Pocock. John Franklin project managed her construction prior to launch in 2001. John (past OCC Commodore) and Jenny then cruised her extensively prior to her sale to us. She is designed as a comfortable live [...]
Social:
Al Shaheen's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
We stopped at this delightful island before setting off for Gibraltar. Loved it, peaceful, full of charm and the people were just so friendly and helpful. Would return in a shot.
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
OCC Azores pursuit Rally
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
This was our fun afternoon exploring the Rock. We took a minibus tour with an excellent guide Fidelio who got us up close and personal with the monkeys as you can see here.
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2018
We visited the Sealift 3 for our annual lift and anti-foul and boy oh boy did we have a dirty bottom. Great service and afloat again less than 24 hours later with everything done on the hull and ready for the 2018 season. Azores here we come.
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2018
43 Photos
Created 19 May 2018