Peregrination

Peregrination is a journey, especially a long or meandering one. Our yacht is named after the "God of all Falcons", the Peregrine Falcon - the fastest animal on Earth.

210Nm west of Cape Finistere - the barometer is rising

10 June 2018
So, we’ve travelled over 600 Nm since leaving Falmouth on Tuesday and are now west of Finistere, a name that’ll be familiar to anyone who’s ever listened to the shipping forecast. Basically we have crossed Biscay which is always a sailor’s challenge. Nice feeling of accomplishment to have done it safely and something of which I’ve heard many stories, not all of enjoyable passages.

Another name familiar to observers of the weather will be “The Azores High”. This is, obviously, a high pressure weather system that is generally present over or to the south of the Azores islands and which dominates the behaviour of adjacent weather. Its effects will be relevant to us now as we’re about to enter a roughly north / south high that will have light winds but, if we’re to get to Horta, there’s no way around it and that means motoring for a couple of days. The barometer, a nice old fashioned but important brass instrument by the chart table shows the pressure is rising, the wind strength is decreasing and these are all signs that the weather predictions so far are right.

I had wondered if I’d feel scared or perhaps vulnerable out here mikes from anywhere. I was keen to sail far from land to push myself into a place without immediate help, no internet to provide an answer to my questions and just me and the crew to sort out any problems we met.

I’m happy to report that this wonderful boat and the team that we are makes for great confidence. Al Shaheen has crossed many thousands of miles offshore and was built for it. She feels safe and capable. Absolutely in her sweet spot today chomping thru the miles with a decent wind and modest amounts of sail.

It’s often observed that I like nothing better than fixing stuff and there’s no place like a boat for things to go wrong and need improvisation to fix. It might be the newly installed solar panels malfunctioning one day, a problem with the heads another, a glitch with the electronics (yep,same rules apply - restart the machine before calling IT) or an issue with the sails or rigging. If it’s broke it has to be fixed so we carry a large amount of spares but you can’t have a spare everything so self sufficient improvisation is key and we seem good at that.

Loneliness or isolation isn’t an issue as we are bonding well as a team settled now into a 3 hour on 6 hours off routine of watches. Modern Comms means that I can hear the (disappointing as a Hamilton fan) news that he was well beaten by Seb today. Nonetheless in the pitch black at 2 am one left in awe at nature - its complexity, sophistication, power and enormity. Our modest sailing voyage with all the modern Kit we have makes me even more profoundly impressed by those ancient mariners who set off to explore foreign lands of which they knew nothing.
[d]2018-06-11 01:10z
Comments
Vessel Name: Al Shaheen
Vessel Make/Model: Pocock 42
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Mark and Nicola Harvey
About:
Mark and Nicola have cruised in the UK and the Med for many years and in 2018 are now exploring for the first time the delights of ocean passage making and travelling further afield. [...]
Extra:
Al Shaheen was commissioned from naval architect and long time cruiser & racer Mike Pocock. John Franklin project managed her construction prior to launch in 2001. John (past OCC Commodore) and Jenny then cruised her extensively prior to her sale to us. She is designed as a comfortable live [...]
Social:
Al Shaheen's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
We stopped at this delightful island before setting off for Gibraltar. Loved it, peaceful, full of charm and the people were just so friendly and helpful. Would return in a shot.
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
OCC Azores pursuit Rally
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
This was our fun afternoon exploring the Rock. We took a minibus tour with an excellent guide Fidelio who got us up close and personal with the monkeys as you can see here.
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2018
We visited the Sealift 3 for our annual lift and anti-foul and boy oh boy did we have a dirty bottom. Great service and afloat again less than 24 hours later with everything done on the hull and ready for the 2018 season. Azores here we come.
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2018
43 Photos
Created 19 May 2018