Peregrination

Peregrination is a journey, especially a long or meandering one. Our yacht is named after the "God of all Falcons", the Peregrine Falcon - the fastest animal on Earth.

Towards Santa Maria

24 June 2018
By now you’ll be used to me being frustrated by lack of wind and today has been no exception. We have motored, or at least motor sailed for 23 hours in the last 24. The engine is shut down at least daily for routine checks of fluid levels, belts, detect any leaks or obvious issues that need attention. It’s especially important to keep an eye on our trusty Yanmar which is our only means of propulsion with absolutely no wind now or expected. Happy to report no issues which is always reassuring out here!

Nicky has joined our 3 hour on, 6 hours off watch system since Bernard is travelling back to UK on another Yacht - Delphinus whom we happily got to know in Horta. We wish them all a safe passage and hope they manage to find some wind which was looking challenging for the Azores-UK route.

We expect to be in Santa Maria early Monday morning to refuel and have a chance to see a little of the first discovered (1427) and most southerly and easterly of the Azores islands. It too is volcanic but apparently has white sandy beaches whereas all the other islands have dark volcanic sand which is not so attractive.

We are looking carefully as always at the weather reports to plan next part of our passage to Gibraltar and beyond. Normally from here we are advised to head off towards Lisbon (further North than the direct line to Gibraltar) in the expectation of wind from the North nearer the coast, these being the Portuguese trades. There are also southgoing currents which will set us down so most folks going this way head a bit North and know they will turn gradually right. However the winds are not doing their usual thing so we may need to rethink. We also want if possible to avoid arriving at the straits of Gib with a Levante wind against us from the East as we would then need to wait for it to turn. Sailors say that (in relation to Gib) “wind in the East, 3 days at least”. Given that we do not have the luxury of time if we are to get to Lefkas by late July, we don’t want to lose time waiting.

I’ve also discovered there are things called “sea mountains”. We are near one right now as I write this where the charted depth goes suddenly from 2,700m to 220m. Such a sudden depth change might well cause unpredictable currents and confused seas so best not to sail over these. I presume these are the relics of historic volcanic activity.

Here’s hoping for at least some sailing wind as the boat is such a joy to be on when sailing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Al Shaheen
Vessel Make/Model: Pocock 42
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Mark and Nicola Harvey
About:
Mark and Nicola have cruised in the UK and the Med for many years and in 2018 are now exploring for the first time the delights of ocean passage making and travelling further afield. [...]
Extra:
Al Shaheen was commissioned from naval architect and long time cruiser & racer Mike Pocock. John Franklin project managed her construction prior to launch in 2001. John (past OCC Commodore) and Jenny then cruised her extensively prior to her sale to us. She is designed as a comfortable live [...]
Social:
Al Shaheen's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
We stopped at this delightful island before setting off for Gibraltar. Loved it, peaceful, full of charm and the people were just so friendly and helpful. Would return in a shot.
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
OCC Azores pursuit Rally
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
This was our fun afternoon exploring the Rock. We took a minibus tour with an excellent guide Fidelio who got us up close and personal with the monkeys as you can see here.
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2018
We visited the Sealift 3 for our annual lift and anti-foul and boy oh boy did we have a dirty bottom. Great service and afloat again less than 24 hours later with everything done on the hull and ready for the 2018 season. Azores here we come.
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2018
43 Photos
Created 19 May 2018