Peregrination

Peregrination is a journey, especially a long or meandering one. Our yacht is named after the "God of all Falcons", the Peregrine Falcon - the fastest animal on Earth.

Day 1 has been good

23 August 2018
Well, we may not have sailed but our first day out towards Greece has been relaxed and fun. We are getting to know Cian who’s been kind enough to join us for this little jaunt and learning of the unique humour perfected by the Irish. We’re enjoying our time together enormously and appreciate him making himself available at short notice. He adds more than just a good SOH though with his experience and knowledge. Thank you Cian and also to Mrs G for watching over our travels on Marine Traffic!

We realised this morning that we were pushing on too fast and so have throttled back to a more sedate pace to ration our fuel. Lack of wind has certainly been a defining characteristic of our travels this summer by and large so we are now rather accustomed to fuel management.

Late this afternoon we could see a big dark ship well off to our port side and it seemed to be towing a pretty sizeable super yacht. We thought little of it till a large black RIB, with 6 or 7 men in dark uniform started heading at us at a rate of knots (nice nautical term there). Looking more closely with increasing alarm, we realised it was the Spanish Customs. They pulled alongside and wanted to ask what we were up to, where we were headed and how many people aboard. We were then asked if we were carrying any drugs and since whisky is a drink not a drug the answer was clearly No. They seemed satisfied and once they’d taken some pictures of us, well photos of the boat rather than the handsome skipper, they sped away.

After a long hot day a swim was in order so, having selected a thoroughly unspoilt and deserted bit of the Mediterranean, we stopped the boat and went for a very warm swim (sea temp currently 29C). It does seem a little odd just stopping a boat in the middle of nowhere and letting her drift whilst we swim but it was a perfect end to a lovely day at sea. I have undertaken not to publish pictures of Cian in his swimming gear. The boat is quite heavily barnacled after sitting still in Cartagena for the last few weeks so will need a good clean down at the end of the season when she is lifted out in Lefkas.

We also had a visit from a huge pod of dolphins which swam with us for a good long time enjoying the bow wave and providing us with a joyful early evening display.

Into the night and no wind so we motor eastwards and expect little change until Sunday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Al Shaheen
Vessel Make/Model: Pocock 42
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Mark and Nicola Harvey
About:
Mark and Nicola have cruised in the UK and the Med for many years and in 2018 are now exploring for the first time the delights of ocean passage making and travelling further afield. [...]
Extra:
Al Shaheen was commissioned from naval architect and long time cruiser & racer Mike Pocock. John Franklin project managed her construction prior to launch in 2001. John (past OCC Commodore) and Jenny then cruised her extensively prior to her sale to us. She is designed as a comfortable live [...]
Social:
Al Shaheen's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
We stopped at this delightful island before setting off for Gibraltar. Loved it, peaceful, full of charm and the people were just so friendly and helpful. Would return in a shot.
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
OCC Azores pursuit Rally
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
This was our fun afternoon exploring the Rock. We took a minibus tour with an excellent guide Fidelio who got us up close and personal with the monkeys as you can see here.
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2018
We visited the Sealift 3 for our annual lift and anti-foul and boy oh boy did we have a dirty bottom. Great service and afloat again less than 24 hours later with everything done on the hull and ready for the 2018 season. Azores here we come.
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2018
43 Photos
Created 19 May 2018