Peregrination

Peregrination is a journey, especially a long or meandering one. Our yacht is named after the "God of all Falcons", the Peregrine Falcon - the fastest animal on Earth.

Meet Cian -he’s from Ireland

25 August 2018
For this trip we are 3 up. Nicky, me and Cian. Cian may now be regretting his arrival aboard a yacht he helped to sail from Ireland to Cartagena in July with his friend Gordon; they were berthed next to us and in yachtie tradition we made friends with our neighbours in the marina.

A couple of strong G&T’s later and we were all firm friends so it wasn’t long before he heard of our need for a third crew to help us on the Med transit to Greece.

I thought you should see what he looks like so here is a none too serious shot of Cian about to go for a swim! He’s a great crew mate and has developed a unique and very funny Irish lexicon of the Algerian and Tunisian towns we see marked in our chart as we sail (motor actually) along the coast.

Today sees us 350 miles out from Cartagena and a good third of the way to our destination in the Ionian. The weather forecast over this weekend is not looking too pleasant with winds gusting 35 knots around Sicily. Manageable for sure but the combo of strong winds and rough seas is certainly not on our wish list. So, we are thinking that a stop in Tunisia is looking attractive once more to allow us to refuel (diesel is also said to be cheaper - a lot cheaper) and shelter from the weather for a day or two. Never having been to Tunisia I’m looking forward to hoisting the home made courtesy flag Nicky has made and arriving on the African continent. We are told the boat will be searched and are thinking what we might offer as baksheesh which is said often to be expected.

The crew is all in good shape but we’d welcome a sailing wind and a rest from the engine noise and the bigger than expected swell which makes sleeping hard with the boat rolling around a fair bit. Thankfully nobody has been sea sick. Yet.
Comments
Vessel Name: Al Shaheen
Vessel Make/Model: Pocock 42
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Mark and Nicola Harvey
About:
Mark and Nicola have cruised in the UK and the Med for many years and in 2018 are now exploring for the first time the delights of ocean passage making and travelling further afield. [...]
Extra:
Al Shaheen was commissioned from naval architect and long time cruiser & racer Mike Pocock. John Franklin project managed her construction prior to launch in 2001. John (past OCC Commodore) and Jenny then cruised her extensively prior to her sale to us. She is designed as a comfortable live [...]
Social:
Al Shaheen's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
We stopped at this delightful island before setting off for Gibraltar. Loved it, peaceful, full of charm and the people were just so friendly and helpful. Would return in a shot.
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
OCC Azores pursuit Rally
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
This was our fun afternoon exploring the Rock. We took a minibus tour with an excellent guide Fidelio who got us up close and personal with the monkeys as you can see here.
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2018
We visited the Sealift 3 for our annual lift and anti-foul and boy oh boy did we have a dirty bottom. Great service and afloat again less than 24 hours later with everything done on the hull and ready for the 2018 season. Azores here we come.
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2018
43 Photos
Created 19 May 2018