Peregrination

Peregrination is a journey, especially a long or meandering one. Our yacht is named after the "God of all Falcons", the Peregrine Falcon - the fastest animal on Earth.

A corner turned - final leg

30 August 2018
We’ve now clocked up over 4,000 miles since we left Gosport on 2nd June. This turns out to be about 10% of the Mike’s covered by Al Shaheen in her previous 17 years so she has been worked hard. Of that, we’ve had to use the motor for around 500 hours, so about 21 days. In fact, the 300 plus mikes from Cartagena has been entirely motoring or motor sailing.

This morning we rounded the SE corner of Sicily hoping to see Mt Etna as we altered course to 056 degrees and began our leg north east towards Corfu. Lots of cloud over the coast meant that sadly we did not see this Sicilian icon.

As we’d headed East along the Sicilian coast we had to keep clear if a huge number of fishing boats and fish pots (usually just possible to see their floating marks by day but no chance at night so always a worry for the night watchkeepers). We also had 2 offshore wellheads for gas fields so kept well away from those of course.

As we motored on towards our landfall of Corfu where we will need to do entry paperwork to keep the boat in Greece for the time being we sweltered on a particularly hot and humid day with no wind. We did treat ourselves to a stop and drift swim at the 6pm watch change which coincided with the once per day engine shut down for routine checks. Nicky then served up a delicious pasta with Rocquefort walnut and chorizo sauce. In the Bezirte supermarket, Cian had managed to find something for pud last night that was somewhere between creme brûlée, yoghurt and custard but was delicious. Tonight we debated healthy fresh fruit as an option but very soon settled on chocolate for “afters” so a dip into the by now refrigerated ship chocolate stores was required. Enjoyed by all.

Into the night and as yet no moon (now waning) so it’s properly dark meaning we have the most amazing view of the stars and the Milky Way. On a clear night like this, an uninterrupted sunset over the Sicilian coast and a starscape such as we have tonight is pure beauty. Nature is awe inspiring and I love watching and being part of its rhythms every day we’re at sea.
Mark
Comments
Vessel Name: Al Shaheen
Vessel Make/Model: Pocock 42
Hailing Port: Gosport
Crew: Mark and Nicola Harvey
About:
Mark and Nicola have cruised in the UK and the Med for many years and in 2018 are now exploring for the first time the delights of ocean passage making and travelling further afield. [...]
Extra:
Al Shaheen was commissioned from naval architect and long time cruiser & racer Mike Pocock. John Franklin project managed her construction prior to launch in 2001. John (past OCC Commodore) and Jenny then cruised her extensively prior to her sale to us. She is designed as a comfortable live [...]
Social:
Al Shaheen's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
We stopped at this delightful island before setting off for Gibraltar. Loved it, peaceful, full of charm and the people were just so friendly and helpful. Would return in a shot.
5 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
OCC Azores pursuit Rally
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
This was our fun afternoon exploring the Rock. We took a minibus tour with an excellent guide Fidelio who got us up close and personal with the monkeys as you can see here.
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2018
We visited the Sealift 3 for our annual lift and anti-foul and boy oh boy did we have a dirty bottom. Great service and afloat again less than 24 hours later with everything done on the hull and ready for the 2018 season. Azores here we come.
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2018
43 Photos
Created 19 May 2018