Altair's Cruz Nuz

cruising, vb, kroozing, working on your boat in exotic locations around the Caribbean....Dudley and Becca

25 October 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
25 September 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
28 July 2011 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club!
27 July 2011 | Key Biscayne, Florida
27 July 2011 | Stiltsville and Miami just across the Bay.
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream...
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream, Here we come!
26 July 2011 | Sweet and Very Special Bahamas...Goodbye...for now!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay's floral gifts!
26 July 2011 | The surf at Honeymoon Harbor!
26 July 2011 | Our last island wonderland...before the Concrete Jungle....
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay...Practicing walking on land...
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...very cool!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...We like it!
25 July 2011 | A very Busy Honeymoon Harbor!
25 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor, Lee side of Gun Cay
25 July 2011 | Bimini, Our Beloved Bahamas!
24 July 2011 | Bimini, Big Game Club Marina!

Thanks MARIE GALANTE for the FAN!

01 August 2009
We've been on the island of Grenada for 23 days! We've been searching everywhere for a 110v fan for the months of work we have on the good ship Altair! It's always hot at a marina. I mean we really scoured every hardware store, marine store and electrical shop, within bus distance and even returned repeatly, with promises of fans arriving daily! There were extension cords for 120 in and 120 out, but all 240 appliances. Everywhere! Now what? Make up a cord from 240 to 120? Do we still need a transformer? Order the fan from theStates?

It's Hot!

Lucy and Richard, our neighbors on S/V Marie Galante II, just came back from the Carenage and found a 120v fan! We had been to A & A Hardware already, but they just got two in! Big squat and bigger on LEGS! Finally, three weeks later, thank you both, we have a really huge fan. They are cool too!

We got BIG SQUAT. At last! Yes, it's gigantic. It's loud, but surprisingly calm in it's similarity to a jet plane idling really far away. Yet we are in the shade and cool! Just have to turn the music up a bit. Dudley loves rock and roll!

A lot of adjusting to do. It's HUGE. We've found a way to keep in under the table and the air starts blasting out to the end of the top. It's really powerful, so that air hits us, not the things on the table, the cushions and still cools the entire cabin. It's doesn't blow at the table making everything fly! We just can't close the table to get forward in Altair easier with this monster under there!

Now we're not JUST a pair of hunchbacks, we're really COOL hunchbacks!

The things we do in the name of travel...for a year a half on a small sailboat...at a dock...

I know what Dudley is doing! When we get back to that tiny townhouse it's gonna seem a mega mansion. After stooping, crawling, bending in positions I never thought possible on Altair, our townhouse is gonna be huge. To get into the pantry, dig way back in the locker behind the head for a roll of t-paper, oh, and a roll of paper towels...hah, you need to be a gymnist. If you need something from the pantry, you hang into it at the waist and and hope you don't fall in.

Everybody should do this at least once in their life! A whole new perspective of "what you can do with what you've got". Who knew I'd be happy to get a fan.

Life is good.

And we're waaaaay cool!

Dudley and Bec
Comments
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 34'
Hailing Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club
Crew: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
About: Dudley has owned this Tartan sloop and has been cruising on her since 1986. Becky joined the good sloop back in 2000 when we first started cruising together and he has been 'training' me ever since! I couldn't be happier! I've been sailing all my life, but cruising is a whole different fish!
Extra: This is the most extended cruise we've braved on this wonderful, old boat of ours which is planned to be about 2 years! We left Miami in late February of 2008 and want to get below the hurricane belt by the end of July! Ok, so it's July, 2011...we're close, but not home yet!

S/V ALTAIR

Who: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club