Altair's Cruz Nuz

cruising, vb, kroozing, working on your boat in exotic locations around the Caribbean....Dudley and Becca

25 October 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
25 September 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
28 July 2011 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club!
27 July 2011 | Key Biscayne, Florida
27 July 2011 | Stiltsville and Miami just across the Bay.
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream...
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream, Here we come!
26 July 2011 | Sweet and Very Special Bahamas...Goodbye...for now!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay's floral gifts!
26 July 2011 | The surf at Honeymoon Harbor!
26 July 2011 | Our last island wonderland...before the Concrete Jungle....
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay...Practicing walking on land...
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...very cool!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...We like it!
25 July 2011 | A very Busy Honeymoon Harbor!
25 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor, Lee side of Gun Cay
25 July 2011 | Bimini, Our Beloved Bahamas!
24 July 2011 | Bimini, Big Game Club Marina!

Just Waiting for Weather now!

08 February 2011 | Port Louis Marina, Still....
Becca
Ok, it's all about the weather now!

We have been pulling our hair out trying to decide on a new hatch from the states. We exhausted everything on island trying to get this going faster...but after shipping and customs fees with a new Bomar hatch from West Marine, it would cost close to $1,000. US dollars that is. That's what my honey needed to hear for his creative juices to flow. He got a perfect piece of teak, bought two generic stainless hinges and we have a hatch that works! We have to prop it open with a stick and she leaks like a sieve, but she's ours. Thanks honey. The dingy was fixed. It had 7 holes from the bottom paint that dried and cracked and that's done. She's holding perfectly...the guys varnishing Miles' yacht, Shawn and Tan Tan are using it and it's been three days, still doing fine.

The GPS, the autopilot, the windlass...all checked out and are working. Check. We've done lots of provisioning with important stuff like wine and cheese to do yet. I've repaired and restitched the bimini, dodger and connector (with revisions for better water catching), revised the jerry can covers, All the stainless is polished, the hull cleaned of algae and the ever present vertical rust stains, the faux teak touched up and lots of bon voyage reasons to gather with friends.

Altair is happy and we are just wracking our brains about how to get back to the states by July! We know how part...it's the agreeing where we can stop and for how long...the he said she said thingy still.

Stay tuned!

Bec

Comments
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 34'
Hailing Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club
Crew: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
About: Dudley has owned this Tartan sloop and has been cruising on her since 1986. Becky joined the good sloop back in 2000 when we first started cruising together and he has been 'training' me ever since! I couldn't be happier! I've been sailing all my life, but cruising is a whole different fish!
Extra: This is the most extended cruise we've braved on this wonderful, old boat of ours which is planned to be about 2 years! We left Miami in late February of 2008 and want to get below the hurricane belt by the end of July! Ok, so it's July, 2011...we're close, but not home yet!

S/V ALTAIR

Who: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club