Altair's Cruz Nuz

cruising, vb, kroozing, working on your boat in exotic locations around the Caribbean....Dudley and Becca

25 October 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
25 September 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
28 July 2011 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club!
27 July 2011 | Key Biscayne, Florida
27 July 2011 | Stiltsville and Miami just across the Bay.
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream...
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream, Here we come!
26 July 2011 | Sweet and Very Special Bahamas...Goodbye...for now!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay's floral gifts!
26 July 2011 | The surf at Honeymoon Harbor!
26 July 2011 | Our last island wonderland...before the Concrete Jungle....
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay...Practicing walking on land...
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...very cool!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...We like it!
25 July 2011 | A very Busy Honeymoon Harbor!
25 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor, Lee side of Gun Cay
25 July 2011 | Bimini, Our Beloved Bahamas!
24 July 2011 | Bimini, Big Game Club Marina!

Rubbing Shoulder's with The Maltese Falcon

21 February 2009 | Still in Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
Becca Butler
Maltese Falcon, Fundraiser at AYC 2/20/09

We, my friends Lorry and Stephen on S/V Droukit Cronie (Gaelic for soaking wet friend) and me, managed to gather a small group of cruisers to join in on the fundraiser bash last night at the Antigua Yacht Club. "Bring Back the Love" by The Maltese Falcon. The Falcon was the host with the mostest and they organized a thrilling evening full of cruisers, kids, yacht club members and, we heard, some WHO's WHO in the sailing world!

We sure didn't know the movers and shakers or famous sailors that were there, but WE were guests, so there. The evening included a raffle, a band, an auction, a BBQ, a bar, of course, and tons of positive energy as exhibited by the generous turnout. A bit of mystery was added to the evening when we found out the guest list for the Maltese Falcon was closed according to the Falcon's website. Surprised...no? We wouldn't know them anyway! The winds have been howling for days giving us a delightfully cool night, the sunset was gorgeous and we couldn't have asked for anything more unless it was a boatload full of money for the cause.

So what do you think small cruisers like us went for, eh? The Paaarrrrty! (There are so many Canadians in the crusing community that I'm going to have stop with the "eh" thing soon. So far there's French, Spanish and now Canadian to learn... I've got my work cut out for me, I think.) There was good music, food was simple yet plentiful and the vast group of volunteers made the evening spectacular. Who doesn't like to participate in a function like this when the major reward is giving back. I don't know who the auctioneer was but she was really good! She was quick, fun and thoroughly entertaining. With her stage presence and ability to rev up the crowd, the participation and buying power of the guests during the auction, the raffle and the food and drink sales, I'm very optomistic the proceeds were plentiful! We all want to thank The Maltese Falcon for organizing and hosting such a wonderful event. Thanks to the AYC for providing the venue, staff and for their support. We had a blast AND we were able to give back to the wonderful people on this island! Actually, I've been waiting for news of the actual success of the monies raised last night from the yacht club and the names of kids who received these gifts. No word yet. I sure will post it when I find out.

Know about the Maltese Falcon? This blog entry depicts a picture of yet another boat that is not ours! Why you say? It's just mind boggling that there is that much money out there for mega yachts like this. She's a special one though. This sailboat is a clipper sailing luxury yacht owned by an American, Tom Perkins, and is the largest privately-owned sailing yacht in he world at 289 feet. This quote is dated last year, so may not be acurate today. The sailboat
has a permanent crew of 18 to maintain the technical aspects including the rig, and to operate the onboard "hotel" which can accommodate twelve guests plus four guest staff. The boat also
includes an onboard gourmet chef and stewards and stewardesses. Think I'll just reserve a suite for Dudley and I. Ok, probably not that nor even a spot on the sole in the engine room . It's really worth looking her up unless you're already familiar. If you love the lines of a classic yacht of yester year, this will probably not be pleasing to your taste or mine! But you just have to appreciate the technology, not to mention the design achievement. She is enough to make you drop your jaw! I made the mistake the first time I saw her come into the harbor here at Falmouth of calling DC on radio and declaring that it was "ugly"...even though I can appreciate it's magnitude". Oooops, You're never supposed to 'dis' another person's boat on the air, not PROPER, ever?

I'll sign off by sharing that we met another couple during the evening who was also on a boat called the Maltese Falcon, not (THE) mind ya. Well, I had to jump in and declare that our 34' Tartan was the baby Altair, speaking of another mega yacht that stole OUR name too. We got a good laugh at being the 'who's who' in our little group last night.

Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 34'
Hailing Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club
Crew: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
About: Dudley has owned this Tartan sloop and has been cruising on her since 1986. Becky joined the good sloop back in 2000 when we first started cruising together and he has been 'training' me ever since! I couldn't be happier! I've been sailing all my life, but cruising is a whole different fish!
Extra: This is the most extended cruise we've braved on this wonderful, old boat of ours which is planned to be about 2 years! We left Miami in late February of 2008 and want to get below the hurricane belt by the end of July! Ok, so it's July, 2011...we're close, but not home yet!

S/V ALTAIR

Who: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club