An Altere Adventure

A Great Impression(ist)

In the morning, not totally sure how to navigate the metro and trains, our group headed for Gare St Lazare to catch a train to visit Edouard Monet's home and gardens. Although the place was packed with tourists, one could still get a sense of what Monet saw in the reconstructed gardens. I personally was struck by the beauty and solitude in the surroundings, especially when looking out at his pond of lily pads from that oriental bridge that appeared in some of his paintings.

His house was brought back to its original look using photographs taken when the artist was in residence. His workshop was just as he had it, as evidenced by a photo with his wife and George Clemenceau standing in the room together. There were reproductions of paintings by Monet's friends, Cezanne, Renoir, Signac, and Caillebotte. Of course the originals now hang in museums, but it was evidence that these artists gave each other some of their works.

Once back in Paris, Elisa and I set out on foot again for the left bank and located the former home of Gertrude Stein. Then we dined at Les Deux Magots, a café where Jean Paul Sartre, Albert Camus, Ernest Hemngway, Pablo Picasso, among others, once took their coffee or a glass of wine. We dined there at a sidewalk table taking in the sights, sounds, and tastes of Paris.

We walked the long way home looking for places that had settings for the movie Avenue Montaigne.

Comments