An Altere Adventure

Marina Papagayo, Costa Rica, and COVID

I was pleasantly surprised by efforts in Costa Rica to keep everyone safe from COVID. While Costa Rica has its own share of cases and deaths, they had closed borders and many had begun wearing masks.

I settled into a routine at the marina, much like that at Puesta del Sol. Laurin and I would go for a an early morning walk, usually up the hill onto the Peninsula Papagayo and along the road. Sometimes we deviated from this and walked to a couple of nearby beaches. After breakfast I would do boat chores and read or listen to podcasts. By afternoon, it was hot,. The humidity here often made it feel even hotter. It was time to go to the pool and cool off. We had many sunset dinners at the marina restaurant, not so aptly named the Dive Bar.

The car that Garrett had rented was transferred to Lairin when Garett left to return to South Carolina. Then Laurin’s friend Mike arrived. Throughout we have shared the cost of a rental car so that we could go into Liberia for groceries, haircuts, etc.

To enter the pool at the Marina Hotel and Suites we must first sanitize our hands before touching the door handle. Then wearing our required masks we can enter where we sign in and record our body temperature. This is taken each time we enter. Everyone with an inside business wears a mask. Restaurants here are open air, for the most part. Not everyone has an instant read thermometer but hand washing stations are nearly universal. In all I have felt safer than in the US.

The only time I felt at risk was inside a small vestibule at a bank in Playa Cocos. I was trying to retrieve money from an ATM. Two Americans walked in. I was not concerned about being robbed, but by their lack of a facial covering in a small enclosed space.

Speaking of Playa Cocos, there are several nice beach towns within a half hour drive from Marina Papagayo. There are lovely restaurants and great food to be found in these beach towns.

Marina Papagayo is part of a large and expensive resort. The peninsula includes a Four Seasons Resort and Golf Course which I am told has the highest occupancy and profit margin of any Four Seasons. One house on the Peninsula rents for 15K per night and comes with a sommelier, among other servants. So if you are looking for that perfect getaway spot……..


Comments