Sailing Altona South

30 January 2013 | Lucaya, Grand Bahama
30 May 2012 | Exumas & Berry Islands
26 May 2012 | Provo & West Caicos
30 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
29 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
22 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
19 April 2012 | Fajardo to Boqueron
10 March 2012 | Puerto Rico and Culebra
21 February 2012 | 18 28.27'N:64 32.12'W
12 February 2012 | British Virgin Islands
11 February 2012 | Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, Maho Bay, Waterlemon Bay, Hansen Bay, Lameshure Bay, Rendezvous Bay, Cruz Bay
10 February 2012 | Caneel Bay, St. John's
01 February 2012 | Maho Bay, St. John's, USVI
23 January 2012 | Culebrita to Charlotte Amalie
17 January 2012 | Isla de Culebra
10 January 2012 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
30 December 2011 | West Bay
26 December 2011 | Andros

Christa and Mac

10 March 2012 | Puerto Rico and Culebra
After the Virgin Islands, Altona returned to Culebra to snorkel and wait at anchor until winds abated for a crossing to Fajardo. We made SunBay Marina our home base in Puerto Rico and welcomed aboard Christa and Mac, our crew-for-a-week. While Christa unwound from school and Ralph did some necessary boat chores, Mac and I toured El Yunque Rain Forest and tried ziplining, which was on my 'bucket list'. It was so much fun that it made conquering my fear of heights well worth it. (The scariest part was going up the stairs of the tall tower, which was really freaky.) I'd definitely try it again, but on a more challenging course next time. The rain forest was fascinating and the interpretive center informative. Our 'hike' from Big Tree Trailhead turned out to be on a paved path, something that was probably necessary with the volume of tourists and the danger of a lesser path being washed away in the rainy season. There were lots of tourists, and La Mina Falls was crowded with people in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall. Not exactly an unspoiled wilderness, but fascinating people watching. I have to admit it's the first time I've seen a grandmother with tattoos.

Our first night out on a mooring was at Las Palominos, and then it was on to Culebra, where we snorkelled and spent 2 rolly nights at anchor. Christa and Mac were great sports, but motoring around to Ensanada Honda was a unanimous decision. It was a rough upwind slog, Mac proved himself a worthy crew member, and Christa was a trooper as Altona bounced her way eastward. It was certainly worth the rough ride to have some peaceful nights at anchor. We'd really hoped to have the mouthwatering ribs at Mamacitas in Dewey, but it was closed and we had to settle for lobster at The Dinghy Dock. Such a tough life! Living with 4 aboard was much easier than we anticipated, and thanks to our easy-going friends, we had a great week. Come back any time! Then it was back to Fajardo and a 4 a.m. departure for the San Juan Airport. Christa and Mac flew back to Guelph, while I flew to Chicago to spend some time with my Mom and step-father. Poor Captain Ralph is aboard all by himself, a solo live-aboard.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altona
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario
Crew: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
About: When not aboard Altona, Ralph & Wendy live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Cruise 1 was 2009-2010 from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake Bay. Cruise 2 was 2011-2012 from Deltaville VA through the Caribbean to the BVI and back to Florida. Cruise 3 is underway!
Extra: To view photos of our first trip to the Bahamas, see Wendy's albums at https://picasaweb.google.com/Sailingaltona Cruise 2 goal: The Caribbean! (Mission accomplished) Cruise 3 goal: We're taking it as it comes. "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." Lao Tzu

SV Altona, 1981 Tartan37

Who: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario