Sailing Altona South

30 January 2013 | Lucaya, Grand Bahama
30 May 2012 | Exumas & Berry Islands
26 May 2012 | Provo & West Caicos
30 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
29 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
22 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
19 April 2012 | Fajardo to Boqueron
10 March 2012 | Puerto Rico and Culebra
21 February 2012 | 18 28.27'N:64 32.12'W
12 February 2012 | British Virgin Islands
11 February 2012 | Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, Maho Bay, Waterlemon Bay, Hansen Bay, Lameshure Bay, Rendezvous Bay, Cruz Bay
10 February 2012 | Caneel Bay, St. John's
01 February 2012 | Maho Bay, St. John's, USVI
23 January 2012 | Culebrita to Charlotte Amalie
17 January 2012 | Isla de Culebra
10 January 2012 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
30 December 2011 | West Bay
26 December 2011 | Andros

North Coast Samana to El Valle

29 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
We departed Samana at 12:00 noon for a 30 mile trip around the Cape to one of the few possible spots to anchor on the north coast: El Valle. Chito was disappointed we weren't staying to take a trip to the big falls (so was I), and warned us that there would be wicked swells in El Valle that could tear our anchor loose and fling us against the rock walls. We also knew we should have departed early in the morning in order to get around Cape Samana and Cape Cabron before the winds picked up around 9 a.m. However, Revenue Canada would have been displeased had we not made the time to find Wifi ashore and file our taxes. I don't think I mentioned that as great as Samana is, we found only 1 Wi-Fi café where we could use our laptops. Most Internet places had dial-up using old desktop computers. Remember dial-up?

As a result, we had a rough ride out of the bay and around the Capes, and a brisk sail along the north coast to El Valle. I munched on Dramamine and we both kept a keen eye on the surf crashing ashore, while Altona weathered the rough ride like the game little trooper she is. El Valle is only 5 miles overland from Santa Barbara, but 30 miles around by boat. Once around the Capes, the ride smoothed out and we ran with the wind and waves. The north coast is forbiddingly grand, with steep, looming cliffs, high ridges with the jagged teeth of a few hardy palm trees, and a shore line gnawed by crashing surf. The overcast day added the final touch of menace, and we were uneasy sailing so close to such a vicious lee shore. You don't want to get into trouble along there, but we approached El Valle without incident.

There was only 1 boat waiting in the anchorage.... Windy Liz, and we could tell from afar that the swells were wicked. Her mast was arcing through a good 45 degrees, and she was showing her bottom paint as she rolled from side to side. Not a good sign, but the only other option was sailing through the night all the way to Luperon, and that would have put us in at very much the wrong time. So we anchored, and rolled and rocked relentlessly all night. I slept on the floor where the arc is less, and Ralph suffered a sleepless night in the V-berth.

Next morning, Windy Liz took off before us to accommodate her slower speed, while we watched the local boats. Despite the size of the bay, several fishing boats rowed out from the beach to the open ocean, and one rowed back in casting a large net. With 5 men, the boat was low in the water, and 3 men dove overboard, kicking along as they manoeuvered the net. A 6th man was on a rock much further inshore, hauling on a line attached to the net. Hard work indeed, especially after rowing all that way! This is subsistence living in the DR.

At 12:30 pm we set sail for Luperon, 130 miles distant. The entrance into the manmade, well protected harbour at Luperon is so tricky that it should only be attempted when the wind and sea is calm, i.e. never after 8:30 a.m. We sailed far enough out to pick up some wind and flew along on a broad reach at a good 7-8 knots... a fabulous speed for Altona. The winds didn't really die after dusk as anticipated, even further inshore, and we found ourselves in the unique position of trying to slow the boat down so we wouldn't arrive too early. We jibed back and forth all night, and deliberately went off course. Meanwhile, Windy Liz had lost her autopilot, and they were hand steering through a long, long night. In a grey dawn, with the winds and waves still high, we pulled the sails down outside Luperon and followed Windy Liz inside, gratefully dropping anchor in the dead calm harbour of Luperon.

Comments
Vessel Name: Altona
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario
Crew: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
About: When not aboard Altona, Ralph & Wendy live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Cruise 1 was 2009-2010 from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake Bay. Cruise 2 was 2011-2012 from Deltaville VA through the Caribbean to the BVI and back to Florida. Cruise 3 is underway!
Extra: To view photos of our first trip to the Bahamas, see Wendy's albums at https://picasaweb.google.com/Sailingaltona Cruise 2 goal: The Caribbean! (Mission accomplished) Cruise 3 goal: We're taking it as it comes. "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." Lao Tzu

SV Altona, 1981 Tartan37

Who: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario