s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Los Grullos.

10 March 2011 | San Blas Islands, Panama
Mark
The Wednesday Boat count on the SSB net did not mention any boats at their Los Grullos or Gunboat, two places in more or less the same direction that we wanted to see so we weighed anchor and headed W. We had to sail between two parallel reefs until we came to a cut to let us out to the open water, but there was a nice 10 kt. breeze at just about 90* apparent so it was a delightful sail at 5.5-6.0 kts. and since most of the trip was to leeward of a reef, the water was flat. Can't beat that! As we approached Los Grullos, I could see with binoculars that neither it nor Gunboat had a boat anchored there. Los Grullos comprises an interlocking series of reefs forming almost a complete circle around two islands one of which has a “Kuna Hotel and Restaurant”. The other is deserted. The guide book describes anchoring right off the dock of the hotel, but the deserted island looked better to us. We dropped sail and motored in carefully staying in the deep (60-70') water and avoiding the reef and shoals (1-2'). In the guide book, on the chart plotter, and by eyeball it looked like there was a narrow strip of appropriately shallow water in which to anchor over sand. The shoal approaching it rose to only 15' and would have made an OK anchorage, but these shoals are often marl instead of sand and that does not offer good holding , so we proceeded on. The water dropped back to 70'. As we approached the island it rose slowly to 60', 50', 40'. We finally dropped the hook quite close to the island but still in 25' of water – deeper than either the chart plotter or guide book suggested. By eyeball it was clear that any closer to the island, the depths dropped dramatically. So we dropped in 25' over sand, let out 150' and got an instant and solid set. We added the kellet, another 40' of chain (we are now hanging in 60' of water and I wanted the kellet on the bottom) then the bridle and another 30'. I sure am glad we bought that 400' of chain last year. We now have out more chain than we owned last time we were here. I swam the anchor as always and was amazed that I could easily see the kellet on the bottom (in 60') and follow the chain all the way in to a totally buried anchor. We are set for a peaceful night. We are just E of the point of the island so we still get a nice breeze and the water is totally flat because of all the surrounding reefs. Now to see what those reefs look like. As I was swimming the anchor, I continued toward shore and confirmed that we really could not get close enough to drop the anchor in water that was significantly shallower. It went from 25' to 5' very abruptly and anchoring on such a slope was an invitation to dragging. Much better to be where we are in a gently sloping section with a good set. I did, however, notice that right at the sharp up slope was a lot of nice coral beginning @ 20' and dropping to 50' or so. It seemed to stretch quite a distance both E and W. Perfect hookah territory. Later we took the dinghy ashore and while Deb walked the beach – beautifully clean and sandy – I snorkeled some of the reef near shore. Only 5-6' of water, but very healthy reef and lots of fish. I was even able to swim “outside” the reef and only be in 10-12' of water and it was even nicer. “Outside” is a relative term here because there are several broken rings of reef (think onion) that surround the two islands. What is “outside” one reef is “inside” the next. Makes for really great snorkeling or diving. As the afternoon wore on, first one then a second boat arrived at “our” location. The first anchored exactly where the guide book says (amazing how people do that – it doesn't even look like a good spot to me), and the second went up between the islands (with a reef between him and us) and anchored in what I am guessing must be very deep water. Anyway the three of us are spread out enough that it is fine and with the Kuna Hotel here, we were not “alone” anyway. At 5:00 I mixed gin & tonics, but down the shade/privacy curtains, and colored Deb's hair in the cockpit. (Two requirements of my doing her hair: we do it over cocktails and we are both naked (too hot to wear the plastic cape and it saves on staining clothes). Nachos and fajitas for dinner, a brief stint in the net to watch stars, and early bed. Tomorrow we will visit the “hotel” and do some snorkeling / hookahing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009