s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

What a difference a day makes!

11 March 2017 | San Blas Islands
Mark
Although it was blowing a bit yesterday morning, we went ashore to the only island we had not visited to walk around and swim. Lynda thought there might be good snorkeling on the far side of the island as the couple from one of the other boats had spent quite a bit of time over there the day before. The island was beautiful white sandy beaches with tall palms - really beautiful and well kept. The water was a challenge. It seemed t break onto the shore from all angles. At the point, waves came from both sides and erupted in great fountains of water. We picked what seemed like the calmest spot to enter with our snorkel gear. Each of us got thrown up towards the beach then dragged out again before we managed to get our fins and masks on and swim. But we all made it and laughed at each other doing it. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to see. On the side facing the boat, it was much calmer and we all washed up with the Camp-Mor soap before returning to the boat and rinsing off in fresh water. By then the wind had dropped noticeably so we pulled anchor and headed for Los Grullos - two beautiful islands with great snorkeling but less than perfect protection. We sailed, all up, at 6-7 kts in 10-15 kts of wind off the stern quarter. Very comfortable and smooth. By the time we reached Los Grullos (about 1:30) it was clear that the anchorage would be fine. We anchored without difficulty (but in deep water - I had forgotten how steep to the island was.) Soon we were snorkeling in crystal clear water over lots of coral and fish. This is what San Blas snorkeling should be! At one point it looked like there was a bed of turtle grass, but when we swam there we found millions of billions of fingerlings so dense that when viewed from above, they made the bottom look green when it was actually white sand. We swam through them and they parted and rejoined as we did. I think the only time I have seen more fish like that was on our honeymoon on Virgin Gorda. As we were picking up to return to the boat, we saw a very nice fiberglass 'panga' headed towards us with two young Guna aboard. They beached the boat and immediately began showing us her molas. Several were quite good. As we went through them, her husband taught us the Guna words for 'No' and 'Maybe' There were quite a few 'Maybe'. Deb ended up buying two molas and a Guna flag (the design is new this year, replacing the 'Revolution' flag we had.) Lynda got two molas and a hat which is perfect on her. We had to get back to the boat for money, and after we paid them, they cast off and drifted as he failed to get his outboard going. After a bit, I took dink out to see what the problem was. Turns out he had the choke still out. I pushed it in and gave it full throttle and it started on the second pull. It had been flooded. Off they went. Later as we were preparing for dinner, back they came, paddling. The engine had died and wouldn't start. It was a new engine (3-4 mos old he said) and everything looked fine. I tried and tried, but it wouldn't start. Every now and then, it would give a cough and a sputter, but then died. As we were trying to decide what to do for them, a friend (whom he obviously had called to meet hem at our boat) showed up to tow him home. I'm guessing he must have had bad gas - probably water in it as the engine was new and looked so good. For dinner we had filet mignon on the Bar-b-q with zucchini and salad (thanks to the veggie boat!) I had marinated the steaks in papaya and rum hoping the papaya would help tenderize them (Adolph's is mainly papain which comes from papaya.) It seemed to work. All in all a much better day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009