Amarone II

CS Merlin 36 built in Ontario Canada

03 April 2014 | San Augustine to Fernandina
02 April 2014 | Now in Daytona
31 March 2014 | Melbourne Fla
30 March 2014 | Vero Beach
26 March 2014 | West Palm Beach
24 March 2014 | North Lake Worth
22 March 2014 | West End, Grand Bahama
19 March 2014 | Gree Turtle
17 March 2014 | Green Turtle Cay, Abacos
13 March 2014 | Treasure cay
05 March 2014 | Hope Town
02 March 2014 | Hope Town
24 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
19 February 2014 | Little Harbour, Abacos
17 February 2014 | Hatchet Harbour
15 February 2014 | Alice town
13 February 2014 | Alice Town, Eleuthera
09 February 2014 | Rock Point Settlement - Eleuthera
07 February 2014 | Black Point Settlement, Big Guana Cay
30 January 2014 | Georgetown

Making our way North

13 March 2014 | Treasure cay
Very Windy 25 to 30K and 73 going down to 63 tonight
We are quite surprised by the beauty of the Abacos. The seas are crystal clear, the towns charming, the folks adorable and the communities nicely designed and welcoming.

Our journey, as you have read, took us from Eleuthera to Little Harbour where we had the first view of a different set of islands. The Exhumas were like hiking in the forests of Ontario or Quebec; beautiful, untarnished and pristine, but give me Black Point anytime. Eleuthera was again completely different, many miles between each settlement, and at each location we were greeted with smiles and lots of hand waving. We went from Governor's Harbour to Hatchet Point to wait out a storm (see earlier blogs about that experience).

Hatchet Harbour like Black Point was a love affair, the residents were non stop being helpful, "Do you need a ride" all on their golf courts.

Then we moved to Spanish Wells where I felt as uncomfortable as anywhere. A totally white community where black is an exception. I felt uncomfortable from my first foot step on shore. I would never choose to live in a place where I could not be accepted and I am white. Apparently that Man-of-War is similar in that they bring in the locals to work on construction and other labour intensive jobs but they are not allowed to stay on the island overnight yet alone live there. Is this South Africa all over again? I just wonder who enacts or allows this type of discrimination to occur. I am not speaking from experience and I am hearing this from folks who visited there recently. I just cannot bring myself to visit such a divisive society on that island.

Then for a completely different view, we sailed from Spanish Wells to Little Harbour in the Abacos (10 hours in huge seas and a nauseous Bruce), and what a surprise to find an artistic community where arts and bronze casting (we saw them casting) are the way of life and connected to a great pub called "Pete's Pub" the gallery and pub owner is Pete Johnston and he is a great bronze artist. First time that I ever saw Trigger Fish on a menu and what a treat that was.

We left Little Harbour and went to Tavern Cay...Don't you love the name?????? where we sat at Lubber's Landing for a folk show that showcased Bo Jango's son aptly named Jango and Christy who writes the songs to Faith Hill and many other published song writers.

Then we moved on to Marsh Harbour a great marina and facility with a section of the slips set aside for Moorings Charters. Great marina and great prices at .80 a linear foot. The facilities in and around Mangoes Marina is great. 3 restaurants and Happy Hours to congregate to. The town is rather desolate and the roads broken up.......But the stores are huge and incredibly well stocked. The biggest grocery store since Miami.

Then we had another "coup de coeur" Hope Town, I am glad we did not see Hope Town prior going South, good grief, we would never have left. I met a couple from Halifax (Chris and Jane Jamieson a surgeon) who were former members at ABYC at the old club and they got stuck in Hope Town. Beautiful settlement and cruiser friendly.

From Hope town we moved to Great Guana and picked up a mooring ball outside the settlement, we enjoyed 2 days of absolutely flat water with an occasional wave to wake you up..LOL.

Another blow / front was working it's way towards the Abacos so we decided to Treasure Cay, Claude and I and Brian and Jane are very sorry that we parted ways with Bunky and Carol on Luna, they are going to go from Green Turtle then to Great Sale Cay after the front and then overnight to the Gulf Stream and headed to Fort Pierce....30 plus hours. Miss you guys already.... Mar-A-Lago had been with Luna for 4 months and Amarone II were with them for 2 months. Bonds get forged and we all wish that we could have finished the trip together.

Now we are secured and snug on a mooring waiting for the blow to happen Thursday and Friday.

Lesson learned if a blow is in the forecast then move your boat 2 days ahead of the blow because we are all seeking protection in a limited number spaces. Mar-A-Lago and I were lucky to get the last 2 mooring balls and there was a parade of boats after us looking to do the same but to no avail.

Fair Winds / Bon Vent

Bruce W. Hannah and Claude Tremblay
www.brucehannah.com

Bahamas cell phone: 242 473 1067
Comments
Vessel Name: Amarone II
Vessel Make/Model: CS Merlin 36
Hailing Port: ABYC - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Bruce Hannah & Claude tremblay
About: Claude has been sailing for 20 years and I am remiss to say (without giving away my age) that I have been sailing for 50 years (I really started as a tot).
Extra: Bahamas phone number 242 473 1067 Email, Courriel: luba11@sympatico.ca
Social:

Amarone II

Who: Bruce Hannah & Claude tremblay
Port: ABYC - Toronto, Ontario, Canada