Amarone II

CS Merlin 36 built in Ontario Canada

03 April 2014 | San Augustine to Fernandina
02 April 2014 | Now in Daytona
31 March 2014 | Melbourne Fla
30 March 2014 | Vero Beach
26 March 2014 | West Palm Beach
24 March 2014 | North Lake Worth
22 March 2014 | West End, Grand Bahama
19 March 2014 | Gree Turtle
17 March 2014 | Green Turtle Cay, Abacos
13 March 2014 | Treasure cay
05 March 2014 | Hope Town
02 March 2014 | Hope Town
24 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
19 February 2014 | Little Harbour, Abacos
17 February 2014 | Hatchet Harbour
15 February 2014 | Alice town
13 February 2014 | Alice Town, Eleuthera
09 February 2014 | Rock Point Settlement - Eleuthera
07 February 2014 | Black Point Settlement, Big Guana Cay
30 January 2014 | Georgetown

Moving West and then North

17 March 2014 | Green Turtle Cay, Abacos
Windy and 76F
March 17th, 2014

Our original plan for yesterday was to leave Treasure cay at high tide at 9:00 and I would travel to Great Guana where I had booked a slip while Mar-A-Lago was to go further east to Man-of-War. Listening to the weather forecasts, Jane on Mar-A-Lago indicated that we should consider crossing the Whale given that it is a very treacherous cut between the sea of Abaco and the Atlantic. The distance along the Whale is only 1.5 miles but you have to transit through 2 cuts 1 leaving the sea of Abaco and the other entering the Sea from the Atlantic. After much toing and froing, the decision was made to cross the Whale and head to Green Turtle Cay about 16 miles away. It proved to be the right decision, the waves were down, the current negligible and the winds favourable.

The Whale is known as one the more treacherous cuts in the Bahamas because of the high potential for big breakers and standing waves. We had great guidance from a member from QCYC on a boat called Resolute and both Pat and Diana gave us advice and waited for us at Green Turtle were they had booked a slip for me and a mooring ball for Jane and Brian.

We are now in Green Turtle waiting for another 2 days of inclement weather starting tonight and clearing by Wednesday morning. Our next decision is when to leave for the West End on Grand Bahamas island where we want to enter the Gulf Stream for Lake Worth (West Palm) in Florida a 56 mile passage which is a very reasonable distance. There we will have to wait for the right weather window to attempt the crossing in ideal conditions which would be a wind of no more than 15 knots out of the South preferably or a South Easterly second best. We still have 90 miles to go before the West end with fewer and fewer stops along the way, so weather is critical.

So we wait for the nasty stuff to pass and we continue planning our journey.

For those who think this is a piece of cake...wrong. It is hard work to plan a course, account for tides and wind and the next stop should we need to hide from a blow. Nice to stop for a few days and reduce the anxiety of always getting it right. We have so far because of bery good planning by both Mar-A-Lago and ourselves.

Hasta luego
Comments
Vessel Name: Amarone II
Vessel Make/Model: CS Merlin 36
Hailing Port: ABYC - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Bruce Hannah & Claude tremblay
About: Claude has been sailing for 20 years and I am remiss to say (without giving away my age) that I have been sailing for 50 years (I really started as a tot).
Extra: Bahamas phone number 242 473 1067 Email, Courriel: luba11@sympatico.ca
Social:

Amarone II

Who: Bruce Hannah & Claude tremblay
Port: ABYC - Toronto, Ontario, Canada