The Big Adventure

03 May 2023 | JFK, NY
29 May 2022 | Pecs, Hungary
28 May 2022 | Novi Sad, Serbia
27 May 2022 | Belgrade, Serbia
26 May 2022 | Serbia
25 May 2022 | Vidin, Bulgaria
24 May 2022 | Rousse, Bulgaria
23 May 2022 | Transit
22 May 2022 | Istanbul, Turkey
21 May 2022 | Istanbul,Turkey
20 May 2022 | Enroute to Turkey
14 October 2019 | Mid air
13 October 2019 | Santiago de Compostela, Spain
12 October 2019 | Amenal, Spain
11 October 2019 | Arzua, Spain
10 October 2019 | Melide, Spain
09 October 2019 | Palas de Rei, Spain
08 October 2019 | Portomarin, Spain
07 October 2019 | Sarria, Spain
06 October 2019 | Triacastela, Spain

Now you tell me

07 September 2019 | Pamplona
Andrea Berndt | Sunny
We decided to treat ourselves and take a rest day in Pamplona. Sleeping in was such a luxury! Then it was off to run errands, like being on the doorstep of the laundry for an honest to goodness washing machine after doing the honors by hand since arrival. There's a medieval festival in town today, and the streets are filled with venders of all sorts of wares and performers. Stalls of beautiful produce, baked goods to include loaves of bread the size of flat watermelons, spices and herbs for every ailment, candles and soaps, and the list goes on. People are everywhere, shopping, greeting their friends, and enjoying the action. We found a sporting goods store to pick up a few items and had a delightful conversation with the proprietor. He complimented me on my Spanish but said I had a Venezuelan accent. No big surprise, as that's where I learned Spanish. We got into a discussion on accents, and just like back home, people from different parts of Spain speak differently. Evidently a British couple who live in Andalusia (Southern Spain) and frequent the store provide quite a bit of amusement from a linguistic perspective. The proprietor also asked where we had started the Camino. When we told him St Jean Pied de Port, he laughed and asked how we enjoyed the climb over the Pyrenees. Seems most Spaniards avoid that part and start in Roncesvalles. Good to know! Once our errands were complete, we soaked up the local scene over coffee in an outdoor café on the plaza, right outside Hemingway's Hotel Perla. Great place to observe the running of the bulls, but a little pricey for our blood. We explored the ancient part of the city, traced the path of the running of the bulls to the finish at Plaza del Toros. We went to a restaurant with a reputation for terrific pinxtos (think way oversized hors d'oeuvres) and ended up with a 3 course feast. In essence we spent our "rest " day walking around Pamplona, putting in a mere 5 miles on the feet.
Comments
Vessel Name: Free Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: Palm Harbor, FL
Crew: Andrea & Mike Berndt

Who: Andrea & Mike Berndt
Port: Palm Harbor, FL