The Big Adventure

03 May 2023 | JFK, NY
29 May 2022 | Pecs, Hungary
28 May 2022 | Novi Sad, Serbia
27 May 2022 | Belgrade, Serbia
26 May 2022 | Serbia
25 May 2022 | Vidin, Bulgaria
24 May 2022 | Rousse, Bulgaria
23 May 2022 | Transit
22 May 2022 | Istanbul, Turkey
21 May 2022 | Istanbul,Turkey
20 May 2022 | Enroute to Turkey
14 October 2019 | Mid air
13 October 2019 | Santiago de Compostela, Spain
12 October 2019 | Amenal, Spain
11 October 2019 | Arzua, Spain
10 October 2019 | Melide, Spain
09 October 2019 | Palas de Rei, Spain
08 October 2019 | Portomarin, Spain
07 October 2019 | Sarria, Spain
06 October 2019 | Triacastela, Spain

The scout and the scribe

10 September 2019 | Los Arcos, Spain
Andrea Berndt | Rain
The weather forecast called for rain today, so we made the command decision to send our backpacks ahead and only carry daypacks. We knew the rain would slow us down and figured by lightening the load we might be able to split the difference. Our goal was to get over the hill and down the deep descent before the rain hit and made everything slick. We've learned to pay close attention to topography in addition to distance and weather. We got an early start, though couldn't help but stop at the famous Fuente de Irache, where red wine runs from one spigot and water from the other. Camino tradition is for pilgrims to fill their scallop shells and sip. Was 8:30 am here, but I'm sure it's 5 o'clock somewhere 😉. We didn't linger as the rainbow on the horizon confirmed that the weatherman got it right. When the rain hit, we dug out our handy dandy ponchos and persevered. After all the jokes made while cruising in the Caribbean about having a poncho, we were very glad to have them. The rain was accompanied by a stiff head wind, making the going a challenge. Fortunately the path was not overly slick and we arrived in Los Arcos with plenty of time for arrival beverages. We've settled into a routine when we reach our daily destination. First comes showers and laundry. Then Mike goes and scouts out the local area for a place to eat as well as the route out of town in the morning. He's been known to settle in for a beer while I chill in the room and write the blog. We make a great team and I'm very grateful that we're sharing this journey together.
Comments
Vessel Name: Free Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: Palm Harbor, FL
Crew: Andrea & Mike Berndt

Who: Andrea & Mike Berndt
Port: Palm Harbor, FL