The Big Adventure

03 May 2023 | JFK, NY
29 May 2022 | Pecs, Hungary
28 May 2022 | Novi Sad, Serbia
27 May 2022 | Belgrade, Serbia
26 May 2022 | Serbia
25 May 2022 | Vidin, Bulgaria
24 May 2022 | Rousse, Bulgaria
23 May 2022 | Transit
22 May 2022 | Istanbul, Turkey
21 May 2022 | Istanbul,Turkey
20 May 2022 | Enroute to Turkey
14 October 2019 | Mid air
13 October 2019 | Santiago de Compostela, Spain
12 October 2019 | Amenal, Spain
11 October 2019 | Arzua, Spain
10 October 2019 | Melide, Spain
09 October 2019 | Palas de Rei, Spain
08 October 2019 | Portomarin, Spain
07 October 2019 | Sarria, Spain
06 October 2019 | Triacastela, Spain

Destiny

16 September 2019 | Belorado, Spain
Andrea Berndt | Overcast
Last night on the way to dinner we stopped in to visit the Catedral de Santo Domingo de la Calzada. They had a pilgrim admission rate, but I had forgotten to bring my pilgrim credencial. Silly girl. The guy at the entrance took one look at us and our feet and declared we were pilgrims. The Spanish people tend to be very stylish and few would venture out in our plain attire and sandals, not to mention all the moleskin. What we thought would be a quick look see easily turned into an hour as we wandered around the immense structure filled with elaborate altars, a crypt, and the infamous chicken coop with a live chicken and rooster (yes, in the church up high behind glass and a wrought iron grill). We learned more about Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Turns out he was not a monk, having applied to the monastery and was rejected. He became somewhat of a hermit and dedicated his life to looking after the pilgrims by building bridges, roads and hospices for pilgrims. Some refer to him as the most important engineer from the 11th and 12th centuries. Moral of the story... not getting into your first choice school is nothing new and just because you don't, doesn't mean the end of your future. You can still accomplish great things. The elaborate churches and cathedrals we have seen so far are a testimony to the immense power, riches and influence of the church long ago. What a contrast to today, when many are fighting for survival as many people are "born" into a particular faith but do not practice it. We got an early start this morning since rain was in the forecast. We were hoping to cover the 14+ miles to Belorado before the rain set in. We are leaving behind the vineyards of the La Rioja region and heading into the wheat and corn fields of Castile. At our morning coffee stop in Granon we shared a table with a Dutch father and son duo. The son had just graduated from school and his father was treating (?) him to the Camino. What an experience and bond to share, though it may be awhile before the son truly appreciates the gift. We also ran into our British friend Helen and our Venezuelan friends Jonathan and Marina. We're all headed to Belorado and we beat the rain!
Comments
Vessel Name: Free Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: Palm Harbor, FL
Crew: Andrea & Mike Berndt

Who: Andrea & Mike Berndt
Port: Palm Harbor, FL