The Big Adventure

03 May 2023 | JFK, NY
29 May 2022 | Pecs, Hungary
28 May 2022 | Novi Sad, Serbia
27 May 2022 | Belgrade, Serbia
26 May 2022 | Serbia
25 May 2022 | Vidin, Bulgaria
24 May 2022 | Rousse, Bulgaria
23 May 2022 | Transit
22 May 2022 | Istanbul, Turkey
21 May 2022 | Istanbul,Turkey
20 May 2022 | Enroute to Turkey
14 October 2019 | Mid air
13 October 2019 | Santiago de Compostela, Spain
12 October 2019 | Amenal, Spain
11 October 2019 | Arzua, Spain
10 October 2019 | Melide, Spain
09 October 2019 | Palas de Rei, Spain
08 October 2019 | Portomarin, Spain
07 October 2019 | Sarria, Spain
06 October 2019 | Triacastela, Spain

Family

27 September 2019 | León, Spain
Andrea Berndt | Sunny
Mansilla de las Mulas was a delightful small town with plazas where children played and medieval city walls still present. We had dinner at a restaurant in an old pharmacy and met Susie and Peter, a lovely couple from England who had spent considerable time in the Middle East and Far East. After the usual pleasantries the conversation inevitably turned to Brexit. They brought another perspective, feeling like the polarization it was creating was splitting the country not only figuratively, but ultimately literally. They feared the end of the United Kingdom, as Scotland and Ireland left the union to become independent countries, with only Britain and Wales remaining. Interesting times ahead. We awoke in the morning to roosters crowing and once again stumbled out into the dark in search of coffee. The small places in town along the route that we had scoped out the night before were locked up tight and we had to walk a few kilometers down the road to Villamoros before finding a place. We shared a table with Felix Sr. and Felix Jr., a father and son duo from Germany. The son had just graduated and was walking the Camino on his own. His father had joined him for a week, sharing the Burgos to León section. He had done the Camino before, but by bike. It was a special time that was quickly drawing to a close. Father was hoping that at the end of his gap year, son would head to the university and study law (like his father) or medicine (like his mother). From Felix Jr's face, you could see that the jury was still out. Back on the road we trucked on. The path followed the highway, passing through Puente de Villarente and Arcahueja. The Camino was slated to become very industrial on the way into León, having had the pleasure of that experience in Burgos, we caught the bus at Arcahueja for the last few kilometers into the city. León is the fourth largest city we will pass through on the Camino. Much of its heritage has been preserved, with ancient city walls incorporated into contemporary buildings and many historical buildings restored and still in use. Cobblestone streets as well as streets made of river rocks set in mosaic patterns wind through the city adding charm and pedestrian challenge. Plazas seem to be tucked everywhere, providing ample room for markets and outdoor cafes. As we sat to have a quick lunch, Christine, our French physician friend passed by and stopped to join us. She is ending her Camino in Leon as planned. Later while touring the cathedral we bumped into our British friend Helen. We've been in this city of 125k for only a few hours, yet running into friends and familiar faces of fellow pilgrims as if it were a small town. The shared experience of the Camino provides a bond of kinship similar to that we've experienced over the years with our military and sailing families. No matter how far from home, someone's there to greet and look out for you as we take care of each other.
Comments
Vessel Name: Free Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: Palm Harbor, FL
Crew: Andrea & Mike Berndt

Who: Andrea & Mike Berndt
Port: Palm Harbor, FL