s/v Sunshine

The Cruising Adventures of the Thoreson Family

14 July 2009
08 July 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
13 June 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama- still
06 June 2009 | Empire, MI/ SB Marina, Panama
15 May 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
15 April 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
14 April 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
12 April 2009 | Carribean, North of Panama
11 April 2009 | Carribean, North of Panama
10 April 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
10 April 2009 | 9.3691,-79.9503
10 April 2009 | 9.3797,-79.9345
09 April 2009 | Lake Gatun, Panama
09 April 2009 | 9.3442,-79.9075
09 April 2009 | 9.2718,-79.9234
08 April 2009 | Panama Canal
08 April 2009 | 9.2176,-79.8913
08 April 2009 | 9.0159,-79.6118
08 April 2009 | 8.905,-79.5307
07 April 2009 | Playita Anchorage Panama City

"Current" Events

28 November 2007 | Bahia del Sol, El Salvador
upper 80's today, clear blue skies
After the previous post, we left the hotel to go back to Sunshine. Problem 1- sailboat is in opposite direction of current flow. Problem 2- we docked the dinghy in an open slip on the side of the dock facing with the current-meaning the current flow was even stronger inside that slip. Problem 3- it's dark- except for a nearly full moon. Problem 4-remember,no motor. So after 1 attempt, a hotel guard on the dock called someone with a panga to tow us back to Sunshine. In the meantime we called our new friends, Scott and he came over in his dinghy-also a self propelled (aka-oar/ muscle power) boat. But hey, 2 heads are better than one. They decided to lift the dinghy up and carry it across the dock to the outside of the dock then at least we'd have less current flow against us. Scott also took Bridget and his daughter in his boat and Jim had Micah, Jenaya and I in ours. We also roped together to make sure we stayed together. The kids thought the whole thing was an adventure, they pretended we were the big fish behind the fishing boat! The guards back at the hotel kept checking on our progress with their spotlight, I'm sure they were getting a big laugh from it all as well! We still don't have our motor running yet, tomorrow the part should be here, but Jim & Santos will be in San Salvador all day, so hopefully Friday they'll be able to work on it. The only way we made it over to the hotel today was to come over against the tide and are making sure we leave at slack tide to head back to Sunshine.
Santos took Jim, Scott and George from another boat, on a jungle adventure today. More on that to come. I haven't even had time to hear about it!
The past few days have been filled with school and cleaning and organizing. Sunday we went to AquaFun with Scott and his family, and Santos, his wife and son, to play in the pool. Santos is part owner of AF. Monday the kids started school after a 2 week hiatus. There first lesson was in hand washing laundry! (tee-hee!) Actually they had fun and Jenaya asked with anticipation the next day, "Mom, are we going to wash more clothes today?" Then we had school time and after lunch started the cleaning. Bridget did a majority of the galley shelves, cupboards, etc., while I started the daunting task of locating all the clothes from all the suitcases, putting them in separate piles for each person, then emptying 3 suitcases to put them back in for the time being, until we can get each bunk area cleaned out then put each persons clothes in their respective bunks. I also got the extra food we brought with us into 2 separate suitcases, again until we come up with enough space for it. When we bought Sunshine, there was so much "STUFF" left on her, books, books, and more books, videos, a full size guitar, soccer ball, motorcycle helmet, stuff, stuff, stuff. Some of it we can use for bartering, or at book swaps, but it also takes up a lot of space for our own belongings.
Yesterday, Tuesday, we finished up the galley cleaning and also did some in the living area, located all the kids school books and supplies and put them in a large crate that was left on the boat. Jenaya's and our bunk area got wiped down. Micah's been sleeping on one of the couches in the living area for now. Today we cleaned the back port side bunk area for Bridget to move in to, then Micah will take the forward port bunk that she's been sleeping in.
All in all, we've enjoyed our first week here. There's a lot of work still to do, and at times overwhelming. The kids are anxious to go for a sail.
Hopefully the next time I write, I'll be able to inform you that we have a working motor on our dinghy, and I'll be able to post more frequently!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Make/Model: 45' Ed Horstman Tristar Trimaran
Hailing Port: Traverse City, MI
Crew: Jim, Amy, Bridget, Micah, & Jenaya
About:
We have been married almost 19 years, Bridget is now 14, Micah is almost 8, Jenaya is 5. We have a strong Christian/Catholic Faith, love spending time together & exploring this beautiful World. [...]
Extra:
We purchased Sunshine in Feb. '07. She was in Bahia del Sol, El Salvador. We flew down in Nov. '07, spent 4 months getting her ready, building a new, larger dinghy, enjoying El Salvador & the friends we made. We then took the next 2 1/2 months sailing from there to Panama City. Now the next leg [...]

The Thoreson Crew

Who: Jim, Amy, Bridget, Micah, & Jenaya
Port: Traverse City, MI