s/v Sunshine

The Cruising Adventures of the Thoreson Family

14 July 2009
08 July 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
13 June 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama- still
06 June 2009 | Empire, MI/ SB Marina, Panama
15 May 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
15 April 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
14 April 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
12 April 2009 | Carribean, North of Panama
11 April 2009 | Carribean, North of Panama
10 April 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina, Panama
10 April 2009 | 9.3691,-79.9503
10 April 2009 | 9.3797,-79.9345
09 April 2009 | Lake Gatun, Panama
09 April 2009 | 9.3442,-79.9075
09 April 2009 | 9.2718,-79.9234
08 April 2009 | Panama Canal
08 April 2009 | 9.2176,-79.8913
08 April 2009 | 9.0159,-79.6118
08 April 2009 | 8.905,-79.5307
07 April 2009 | Playita Anchorage Panama City

Even more Work

02 April 2009 | same
same!
Thur. Apr. 2nd
Another jam packed day. I put 1 coat of primer on the starboard cockpit floor & the back seating area, more cleaning & then it was an hour or so after high tide so time to move Sunshine over to the beach. Around 4, Jim was taking some garbage to shore to get rid of and while he was off the boat, the tide rose enough for Sunshine to start floating. We had our back anchor set, so no problem right? I would just start the motor & drive back in toward shore close enough for him to get out to the boat & climb aboard. Hmm, the only problem is, the rope for the anchor has gotten stuck under the boat, & I'm afraid near the prop. I tried to pull in enough to then be able to loosen the rope, then got to a point it was stuck & I couldn't pull anymore. By this time I was about 30 yards off shore & Jim starts swimming out to the boat. He made it, but barely. He was already so tired after working all day, plus the heat & all. We got it all taken care of w/in only a couple minutes, Sunshine finally swung around enough & we were able to loosen the rope from under her. We start the motor & put it into gear & immediately heard an unsettling rumbling noise coming from the prop area. What the @%#! We found the spot we decided to anchor & it was getting too close to dusk at this point for Jim to dive under & see what was going on- not too mention we were just too tired- especially him after swimming out to the boat. But lets just say, after everything that has gone on since we got to Sunshine only 5 days ago, we sat that night and took a good long look at ALL our options. We only have so much time to get this leg of the journey, from Panama to Florida accomplished. We are achingly missing our kids & Jim's already taking more work off than he has vacation time for, now we're a couple days, at best, behind. We can't keep coming down to work on here, it wouldn't work. We'd get things done, she sits for another rainy season, everything we've accomplished & then some, would be undone- there'd be even more work next time. I haven't even mentioned yet, that 2 of the spreaders on the mast need replaced before we set sail. With each rainy season she stays in, more damage is going to be done to this 35 year old wooden boat. With the global economy the way it is, boats aren't selling well. What do we do? We decided, that if he couldn't quickly fix what ever was rumbling from the new prop, right away in the morning, & be able to get over to Playita & start the procedure for the canal & head to Fl., she goes up for sale on Ebay with a min. bid & see if anyone bites. We went to bed praying for guidance & help us to make the right decision.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Make/Model: 45' Ed Horstman Tristar Trimaran
Hailing Port: Traverse City, MI
Crew: Jim, Amy, Bridget, Micah, & Jenaya
About:
We have been married almost 19 years, Bridget is now 14, Micah is almost 8, Jenaya is 5. We have a strong Christian/Catholic Faith, love spending time together & exploring this beautiful World. [...]
Extra:
We purchased Sunshine in Feb. '07. She was in Bahia del Sol, El Salvador. We flew down in Nov. '07, spent 4 months getting her ready, building a new, larger dinghy, enjoying El Salvador & the friends we made. We then took the next 2 1/2 months sailing from there to Panama City. Now the next leg [...]

The Thoreson Crew

Who: Jim, Amy, Bridget, Micah, & Jenaya
Port: Traverse City, MI