Adventures on Amelie

27 May 2008 | Brunswick, Georgia
30 April 2008 | Lee Stocking Island
13 April 2008 | Emerald Bay Marina
22 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
10 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
24 February 2008 | Nassau
26 January 2008 | 24 35.623'N
14 January 2008 | Nassau, Bahamas
10 January 2008 | Chub Cay
03 January 2008 | Bahamas
30 December 2007 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
21 December 2007 | St. Augustine, FL
07 December 2007 | Charleston, SC
28 November 2007 | Charleston, SC

Nassau

14 January 2008 | Nassau, Bahamas
Tracy
We're in Nassau!

We had an amazing sail from Frazers Hog Cay to here this morning. I even loved it, seriously! It was the perfect temperature, a perfect breeze, a nice broad reach, flat sailing...everything you could ask for.

We had left Chub Cay Marina, because we like our money, and decided to anchor out for a few days to wait for the perfect day to sail to Nassau.

The first anchorage was at the front of the resort, for free! Very beautiful, white sand beaches, clear water...

Bailey had never been snorkeling before so we took the kayak to the beach and waded into the water with her. She was really scared at first, but as soon as she sucked it up and put her face in the water she was a natural! She loved it! We only saw starfish, sea slugs, and one sting ray we called the manta ray from Nemo, but it was all very cool to her. The winds were changing though so we could only comfortable stay there one night.

The next night we went to Frazers Hog Cay. This anchorage was only like 5 miles from the marina so it was a short destination. It was very shallow though, so I had to be the look out at the bow.

We were motoring along to the anchorage just fine. Jeff and I have these headsets called "Marriage Savers", so that I can talk to him at the helm from the bow of the boat, without yelling. So, we're chatting away and I'm looking forward for his sake...nothing ever mysteriously pops out of the water, right? The water is crystal clear and you can see right to the bottom, which is 10 ft or less from the surface. Our draft is 4 Ft, so basically we have a 6 Ft. clearance above the ground if the depth is 10 ft. Anyway, I see this light sandy spot coming up and as its coming closer I'm thinking to myself, wow that's really a very straight clear shape like a rectangle...about that time, which is too late mind you, I realize that shape is a submerged white pick up truck! All I said in my headset was, Oh my God, we're going over a pickup. Yeah, that went well...We had to have barely cleared that thing. Jeff said it was an older mooring field and people used just about anything to anchor a mooring ball. Scary!

Our anchorage, once we got there, was so remote and beautiful. The first night we were the only boat for miles. Snorkeling off the boat, relaxing....good times! The second night was just as perfect. We did have some other boats within a mile or two, but still peaceful.

I know it might be rude, but we check people out through the binocs. We saw that one of the boats has a weiner dog and they must've been friends with another boat there because they were having cocktails together. When we got to the marina today in Nassau, I was walking Zack and we ran into this couple and their weiner dog. After a few minutes of small talk we realized we were at the same anchorage last night. I told her we spied, but only because we were jealous we weren't invited for cocktails!

A few miles from Nassau we started calling for marinas. 4 DOLLARS A FT!! Are you kidding me! Everything we'd heard though was that you do not want to anchor in Nassau harbor because of the crime. We kept calling and calling and we finally got a slip at a marina for a very reasonble price. There is a mini mall across the street with shopping and food which was perfect.

We stocked up on fresh food and headed back to the boat around 4 pm. We decided on Dominos Pizza for dinner, so Jeff walked back across the street at around 6 pm. When he got back he said that all the stores we had just been in have their night security in place. You have to ring a buzzer to get in, and they all have 2 security guards. As we're eating the pizza we keep hearing all these loud bangs and sirens soon after....fireworks I'm sure...Our marina is secured and well protected, but there is no way I would anchor out here! Jeff said I could throw the 12 gauge at the trespassers feet...if you haven't heard the story about me and the 12 gauge it is quite funny...another time perhaps.

Tonight we're calling everyone we know since we have WiFi, relaxing and trying to plan ahead. Colby gets here on the 9th, we're really looking forward to company. Then about a week later, my mom and dad come down for a few days for Bailey's birthday.

We're doing great, feeling great! Bailey is reading!! If you have never taught your daughter to read you have no idea the mental pain!! Very rewarding, but I would not wish that on my worst enemy!

Hope all is great with you. Don't know where we'll be between now and the 9th, but we'll keep you posted.

Love Everyone!!!!

Comments
Vessel Name: Amelie
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Prout Catamaran
Hailing Port: Jackson, WY
Crew: Jeff Miller, Tracy Weber, Bailey Weber, and Zack the dog
About: Jeff is the only one of us with real sailing experience. I did take some lessons when we moved on to the boat, but really I'm a beginner. Bailey of course is only 5 so her main duty is to entertain, and Zack is our resident snuggle puppy.
Extra: We set out with the goal of being able to sail for 3 to 5 years. Of course that depends on expenses, etc. We are home schooling Bailey with Calvert while we're underway and just trying to take life day by day.

Adventures on Amelie

Who: Jeff Miller, Tracy Weber, Bailey Weber, and Zack the dog
Port: Jackson, WY