Adventures on Amelie

27 May 2008 | Brunswick, Georgia
30 April 2008 | Lee Stocking Island
13 April 2008 | Emerald Bay Marina
22 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
10 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
24 February 2008 | Nassau
26 January 2008 | 24 35.623'N
14 January 2008 | Nassau, Bahamas
10 January 2008 | Chub Cay
03 January 2008 | Bahamas
30 December 2007 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
21 December 2007 | St. Augustine, FL
07 December 2007 | Charleston, SC
28 November 2007 | Charleston, SC

Staniel Cay Part 2

22 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
Tracy
Hello! Jeff just uploaded some pictures to a new album so check them out.

I do have some very sad news...The cute, fat, brown, onion eating pig, is no more. The first day I thought maybe he was in the bushes. By the second day I started to get worried. After a week, I had to snap out of denial and except that piggy wasn't coming out to play again. I was really bummed out by this, seriously! Then, on the last night we were told by some friends that there were 8 piglets on the beach back in the bushes. The next morning before we headed out to Black Point we stopped at the beach and wandered into the bushes. There were 8 of the cutest little pigs you'd ever seen. We'll upload those pictures next time. Obviously the brown pig was the father. They were all pink with brown spots, and most had floppy ears like dad. Jeff was still in denial about brown pig and kept telling me he was probably taken to another island to make more babies. Sadly today at the Laundermat (spelled the Bahamian way), the news was confirmed by a fellow cruiser and brown pig lover. The day we got to Staniel this time, there was a large funeral for some big island guy. So big that they felt the need to slay brown pig for the post funeral party. Barberic I say! There were 4 generic pink pigs they could've taken, but no, they took the big guy. I'm very disappointed Staniel Cay! Okay, I'll move on, but I really liked that pig.

One thing I forgot to mention in the last update was our apocolyptic sail from Norman to Staniel. The weather was supposed to be squally, is that a word...anyway we started seeing water spouts. I've never seen a water spout before and thought they were pretty cool. We soon had counted 7 water spouts and while Jeff was coolly reading his book I mentioned that it looked like the water was moving probably less than a mile away, upward to the funnel. You couldn't see the connection between the funnel and the little tornado on the sea, but there was no doubt it was there. This raised a good question...."What the heck do you do in a sailboat going 6 knots to out run a tornado?" Not much. We locked lazerettes so they wouldn't fly open and suck all of our stuff out. Dug out the life jackets and put anything projectile inside. My heart was beating pretty hard when I saw Jeff start getting serious about preparations. Everything was fine of course, but have you ever heard of a sailboat in a water spout? What does happen? Questions probably best left unanswered until I'm snug in my King size bed, in a room that is surrounded by a house, not a boat.

So that's about it. We just finished a months worth of laundry at Black Point settlement. What a great place! Seriously!! The little island girls ran up to Bailey and started stroking her blond hair, smelling it, and hugging her. Like she didn't already feel like a Princess. Very cute to see, the kids were so welcoming and friendly. Bailey played most of the afternoon with new friends, maybe we can get rid of Gary!

Zack seems to have a slight ear infection, which were hoping is causing the hearing loss, rather than a permanent ailment. It started after we let him swim at Normans. He lets me clean it and play nurse everyday because he knows mom will give him a bacon treat afterwards.

We also learned how to clean Conch when we were at Normans. I can't believe I eat that after seeing its slimy body slide out of the shell, ew!

Okay, that's it for now. Miss everyone and we'll update pictures again soon. We think we're headed to Georgetown tomorrow so we should have internet again. Love You!

Comments
Vessel Name: Amelie
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Prout Catamaran
Hailing Port: Jackson, WY
Crew: Jeff Miller, Tracy Weber, Bailey Weber, and Zack the dog
About: Jeff is the only one of us with real sailing experience. I did take some lessons when we moved on to the boat, but really I'm a beginner. Bailey of course is only 5 so her main duty is to entertain, and Zack is our resident snuggle puppy.
Extra: We set out with the goal of being able to sail for 3 to 5 years. Of course that depends on expenses, etc. We are home schooling Bailey with Calvert while we're underway and just trying to take life day by day.

Adventures on Amelie

Who: Jeff Miller, Tracy Weber, Bailey Weber, and Zack the dog
Port: Jackson, WY