Amulet underway

Vessel Name: Amulet
Vessel Make/Model: CR Yachts DS480
Hailing Port: Port Madison, Bainbridge Island, Washington
10 September 2017
30 April 2017 | West Palm Beach, Florida
28 April 2017 | Great Sale Cay
26 April 2017 | Man O Jack Cay
20 April 2017 | Abacos
16 April 2017 | Spanish Wells, Bahamas
10 April 2017 | Exuma Land and Sea Park
09 April 2017 | Staniel Cay, Bahamas
31 March 2017 | Great Exuma Island
20 March 2017 | Turks and Caicos
14 March 2017 | Dominican Republic
09 March 2017 | San Jose, Puerto Rico
05 March 2017 | Culebra, Spanish Virgin Islands
04 March 2017 | British Virgin Islands
24 February 2017 | British Virgin Islands
19 February 2017 | St. Martins
14 February 2017 | St. Barths
12 February 2017 | Nevis Island
09 February 2017 | Les Saintes, Guadeloupe
Recent Blog Posts
10 September 2017

Postscript

"Amulet" arrived largely safely at the MarineService Center yard in Anacortes for unloading on May 14th. There was some shipping damage to the port forward cleat, which was bent, and the teak rail below it cracked, which the yard fixed. On our way home from Claire's graduation from the University of [...]

05 May 2017

Going Windward at 60 MPH

Gary and I spent the 1st of May through the 3rd of May taking down sails, the bimini, solar panels, and dodgers, and removing much of the running rigging. Late the 3rd of May, our rigger, Brad Storm (great job-alike last name) arrived to look over things. He will help us take down the mast, standing [...]

30 April 2017 | West Palm Beach, Florida

Crossing the Stream/Back in the USA

We departed Great Sale Cay at 0500, about an hour before dawn, and made our way to Mango Cay, arriving there at 0930. Our next waypoint was Memory Rock. After 50 miles, again in 10-14 feet of water, and we passed it at 1230-excellent timing, better than expected, and with 50 miles to go, we might make [...]

28 April 2017 | Great Sale Cay

The Last of the Abacos

We had a leisurely mid morning departure from Man O' Jack Cay bound for Spanish Cay, some 14 miles to the north. We listened to the morning weather and again, some wind was expected to ruffle the Gulf Stream this coming Sunday (it is now Thursday), so we figured we should plan on crossing the Stream [...]

26 April 2017 | Man O Jack Cay

Getting Further North in the Abacos

After the somewhat disappointing couple of nights at Great Guana Cay, we pressed on a couple of islands north to Green Turtle Cay.

20 April 2017 | Abacos

North to the Abacos

The wind was still howling, with waves breaking over the reef, so there was no leaving. Gary wanted to see Harbor Island, and I had already been there, so he took off on the early ferry on Easter Sunday. I defrosted the freezer and refrigerator, and halfway filled the water tanks (52 cents/gallon, it [...]

Our arrival in the Bahamas

31 March 2017 | Great Exuma Island
John
We departed Turks and Caicos at 0915 on Tuesday, March 21st with our pilot boat showing us the way through the reef, bound for Abraham Bay on Managuan Island, some 60 miles. During the morning, we listened to the weather and learned of another wind storm due in two days which necessitated us finding another marina. We secured reservations at a marina in Clarence Town, Long Island beginning March 23rd. We then arrived at Abraham Bay through the reef opening at 1715 on March 21st, and got into the bay as far as we could, which was still 2 miles from land due to shoaling. Good holding and the wind was up. The following morning we awoke to the sight of a sailboat up on the reef, about a mile from our anchorage. We radioed the guy, who was from Maine, to ask if they needed help, and he explained that his wind vane hadn't been working well the past week, and he went to sleep during night and awoke to the catastrophic thud of his boat which had run up on the reef. A couple of rules broken here, so I asked if he needed help, and knew how to kedge the boat off the reef. He said he didn't need help, would wait for the high tide, and he knew how to kedge the boat off. 45 minutes later, he radioed us, and asked if we knew when high tide was, and also to explain the term "kedge". These questions, along with the circumstances of his grounding, firmly established his level of competency.

At 0930 we left Abraham Bay for Atwood Harbor on Acklins Island. The Bay was deserted, and Acklins Islands is the home of the major production salt pans of Morton salt. Uneventful night, and we left the following day for the protection of our marina on Long Island.

We arrived at Flying Fish Marina in Clarence Town, Long Island at 1530, and at the marina were our friends Linda and Bob aboard "Argon", whom we had met in Turks and Caicos. The marina was quite small, and very nice, filled with mostly big game fishing charter boats. Clarence Town was hardly a town, but had two restaurants, and a grocery store well out of town. The wind storm hit the night after we arrived and lasted 4 full days. The first day we rented a car and explored the island, stopping at the Blue Hole, which is the deepest ocean sinkhole in the world, and a nice beach on the leeward side of the island. We also went for a cave tour of some limestone caves that had petroglyphs, bats and large cockroaches, that the islanders used for shelter from the hurricanes. The following day we went to a beach at the south end of the island where Sharon gave Bob and I haircuts. We were impressed by the numbers of hurricane damaged houses on the islands, and very small towns that had been abandoned due to hurricanes. Bob is an avid bone fisherman, and found a spot near the marina he could practice his passion. The first day, our second day on the island he hooked one, but it shook the hook, and the second day, he landed one (but released it), so he was a happy boy. During our second day, we also jerry canned diesel aboard the boat, putting in 25 gallons, engine hours 2258, generator hours 1345. On the third day, we thought we could leave, but the breakers over the reef opening were still in place, so we stayed an extra day, leaving Flying Fish marina at 0930 on Tuesday, March 28th, and beating all the way up the island (45 miles) to a Calabash Harbor at the north end of Long Island. The anchorage was extremely shallow with only a couple of feet below our keel.

The following day we had a nice downwind sail 25 miles to Stocking Island, outside of George Town. Everything went fine, but we fouled the gennaker on the take down, wrapping it around the fore stay a couple of times. We also skied the entire sail, but amazingly enough had all that under control after about 20 minutes of frantic activity. Not good seamanship, but everyone is entitled to a bad day. At the Stocking Island anchorage, we hopped aboard the dinghy for a shore explore, going through the various bays and canals of Stocking Island, then had dinner at the famous Chat and Chill, on volleyball beach, which had good ribs and lots of manta rays working the shore.

On March 30, we moved over to George Town proper, anchoring in front of the Peace and Plenty Hotel to clean the boat, provision, and get staged for our crew change the following day.

Mid day March 31st, Melinda arrived back onboard with her brother Dave, his wife Rachel, and two kids, Jocelyn (17) and Cael (13). We bid a fond farewell to Bob and Sharon, who were headed back to Seattle. They seemed to have a good time, I think the adventure quotient far exceeded their expectations, and the leisurely days, palm trees, long sandy beaches and tropical drinks quotient may have not met their expectations. Bob did get in some good bonefishing however.

Picture is of the azure Bahamian waters that greeted us....

Comments
Amulet's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 11 January 2021
Tonga Pictures
17 Photos
Created 11 September 2014
2 Photos
Created 17 August 2014
Our time in Bora Bora
21 Photos
Created 29 July 2014
79 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
Pictures of our time in the Tuamotus
28 Photos
Created 9 June 2014
Pics from mom and my bike ride into town.
5 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
Close ups of "Gracie S." remnants, arrival in Rangiroa, snorkeling by "Gracie S"
15 Photos
Created 25 May 2014

About & Links