The Voyage of Anam Caraid

29 September 2011
22 September 2011
21 September 2011 | Pultneyville, NY
21 September 2011
20 September 2011 | Prince Edward County
19 September 2011 | Picton Ontario
18 September 2011 | Picton, Ontario
17 September 2011 | Waupoos
16 September 2011 | Waupoos
15 September 2011
12 September 2011
11 September 2011
10 September 2011 | Whitby, Ontario
09 September 2011 | Hanlan's Point, Toronto Island
19 August 2011 | Hamilton, Ontario
19 August 2011 | Lake Ontario heading to Hamilton

Picton... after all these years!

18 September 2011 | Picton, Ontario
We've always wanted to sail to Picton. The problem is we have never had the time. Doing a job with no room for vacation is not really conducive to sailing adventures. Sure I get away for the Lake Ontario 300 but I take a rocket stick and a cell phone and check things regularily. The truth is I have not been able to relax in 10 years and just go sailing. Sometimes work is like that.

So now I'm here. Don't ask me why it was important to get here. We've been here by car before. No big deal. It's pretty here and the whole Prince Edward County has always been a favourite. But we're sailors. We needed to arrive by water. Getting here has it's challenges and we wanted to accomplish it.

The trip here from Waupoos was uneventful. We motored half the time. The wind was light to nothing and the sun was warm. When we could sail the tunes were blasting on the stereo and a couple Corona's were consumed. Not by the Captain of course.... that would be illegal.

The scenery along the way was beautiful. Watching the other boats with no place in particular to go was nice but we had a destination and since the reputation of our destination was they had little room for visitors we wanted to be sure to get there during the day. As it turns out there was room and PEYC was very welcoming. Shortly after checking in we ran into an old QCYC friend (Bobby Peat) and went to his place for a beer. Their house is absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately we couldn't stay as we had to get a few groceries so off we went. Dinner out (MacDonald's) and groceries. It's odd that when we are on land we wouldn't consider eating at McDonald's but here we are living on a boat, a fridge full of good cheeses and fruit and local vegetables and a freezer full of quality meats. Somehow it just seemed like a treat.

So we made it.... what's next? I guess tomorrow we'll wander around town, do a little laundry and plan our next move.
Comments
Vessel Name: Anam Caraid
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36 (1987)
Hailing Port: Etobicoke, Ontario (EYC)
Crew: Michele and Bruce
About: Together 38 years and sailing for the last 15 whenever we could keeps life entertaining. Bruce loves to sail and race.... Michele loves to relax in the sun and sail to new locations (especially if there is a winery within walking distance!
Anam Caraid's Photos - Main
17 Photos
Created 2 October 2011
The trip to Prinyer's cove.
24 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
The trip to Picton and the sites around it.
11 Photos
Created 19 September 2011
After a freezing overnight sail we arrived in Waupoos where we spent 3 days
26 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
Time to go back and prepare for a week of parties before heading out again.
3 Photos
Created 17 September 2011
Still week one
5 Photos
Created 17 September 2011
Retirement starts with the first act (if you don't count getting "retired" as the first act)
4 Photos
Created 17 September 2011
First stop on on the big retirement cruise
13 Photos
Created 17 September 2011