17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

This is Hard Work

11 September 2009 | Deltaville, VA
by Jen
Ok. I know...we live on a boat. And yes, that is a great and wonderful thing. However, it is our experience that EVERYTHING on a boat is TEN times more complicated and harder to reach. We are proudly Do-It-Yourselfers!! But I think that they should call it Do-Youreself-In-ers!! Each task seems to try our patience, strength, and my contortion-ism more and more. Our goal of leaving the Chesapeake Bay at the end of October still stands and is faintly coming into sight.

The list of projects is still long enough to consider it a steady work load for the coming weeks. The unexpected mast predicament has obviously put a bump in the road that we cannot ignore before we depart. We plan to head to Annapolis at the end of this month for it's repair and installation of all new standing rigging.

We had briefly entertained the idea of having the mast and boom repainted in Annapolis while the rigging work is performed. I said briefly. The quote was over FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS! The cost is not the paint, it is the labor. No thank you! I have done the research and I feel completely comfortable in our ability to paint both pieces ourselves. In fact, we have already taken the boom off of the boat and started sanding. I will be sure to update with photos of the project.

Next week we are being hauled out at Mobjack Bay Marina in Mathews for a new bottom job. What is that you say dear faithful reader? Why yes, you did read correctly in a previous entry that we had painted the bottom just before putting Anastasia in the water in May. Unfortunately, the paint we used was faulty and we have dime sized barnacles growing on our bottom. But not to worry! The incredibly nice Petit Paint representative paid us a visit to confirm the fouling bottom and GAVE us two gallons of premium bottom paint and picked up the haul out bill. Of course we will be the work crew to remove the old paint but that is a given for a Do-It-Yourself crew!!

So many other little projects are going on each day. As I write Maxwell is hooking up the replacement faucets for our galley foot pumps. I wired a reading light over the starboard settee, we re-bed some of the port side portholes and on and on.

We love our new Seagull water filtration system! Thanks for the insight on that Team Prudence! I highly pass on this recommendation to anyone.

Hopefully next week we will also have the new bimini and dodger installed. They will really transform her look. I cannot wait!

I'll leave you with some progress shots.


New fuel filter.


Engine compartment storage before.


Engine compartment storage after.


Old faucet removal.


Original plumbing. This boat was built in Taiwan 27 years ago.


Finished faucets!
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog