17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

The Mast Goes Up!

18 October 2009 | Annapolis, MD
by Jen
It has finally happened. Our mast has been repaired, repainted and reinstalled!! Also, while the mast was out we elected to go ahead with all new standing rigging. What we had was assumed to be 10-15 years old and could possibly fail so it was a necessary upgrade.

We arrived in Annapolis on a Monday and the mast was pulled on the next day. Chesapeake Rigging Annapolis Spars is who we chose to do the needed work. They got started right away removing the old stays and shrouds and prepping the mast for repair. The engineer who designed our mast 27 years ago is the same person who designed and performed the repair. We are extremely pleased with his work.

Next came the painting crew...Maxwell and I! Check out our SmugMug gallery Painting the Mast. We removed all of the hardware, sanded the old paint off, and began the 5 step process. First is Zinc Chromate, next two coats of primer and then two coats of paint. Each layer took about 2 1/2 hours each to coat the 56 1/2 foot spar. It sounds like it was no sweat but somehow this took us days and days to accomplish.

Once we were finished painting we began reinstalling the hardware and rewiring the instruments and lights. Two weeks from the date it was pulled, the mast was reinstalled. Happy Day! Check out the gallery Re-Stepping the Mast.

We had a long trip back home to VA testing our new spar. Anastasia endured 25-30 knot winds and 5 foot seas flawlessly in our treck south on the Chesapeake Bay. It was her crew who was shivering in the rain and wind.

The departure date is coming into clear sight as we are wrapping up the last few jobs on our list. Of course there will always be things to work on...it is a boat for Pete's sake! But there are just a few more tasks we want to have finished prior to push off.

Time to get excited!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog