17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

Gorgeous, Just Gorgeous!

16 January 2010 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas
by Jen
Any difficulties or obstacles we have endured and overcome on this trip were WELL WORTH IT! The views we have seen over the past four days have been breath taking to say the least. When we entered Nassau Harbor, it was nice, but it was still commercial and developed. The islands we have visited this week are all together a different experience.

Upon our exit of Nassau Harbor, all of the sails were up. We were in the company of many other boats who were waiting on the same weather window as us for the crossing to the Exumas. It seemed that we were the only sailboat completely under sail. We used our beautiful yellow and blue spinnaker almost the entire way as we were on a run to a broad reach for the whole trip. Navigating through the Yellow Banks where huge coral heads lurk beneath the surface was exciting. If you can picture crystal clear blue/green water 15' deep with black masses scattered around creating an obstacle course for Anastasia and her crew. It was fun as we settled into a routine with me on the bowsprit and Maxwell on the helm making adjustments to course as I spotted the heads.

Once through our course, successfully, we were onto Allen's Cay. This is a small grouping of islands inhabited by prehistoric iguanas. We arrived there Tuesday afternoon and anchored under sail. Scary thought but it was so easy and flawless! Wednesday morning we went ashore in search of these creatures but none were to be found. Only tracks in the sand as evidence they did in fact exist. After that we headed back to the boat and once again were underway, sailing off of the hook. It is very gratifying to know that we are not burning diesel that is surely over $4/gallon here.

Wednesday afternoon we arrive in Shroud Cay and took up a mooring with 8-10 other boats. This island was more beautiful than the last. After a night of rest, we ventured out on the dinghy to a cut winding through the island lined with mangroves to the ocean side. Wow! Beauty in every direction including up and down! We snorkeled around for a while seeing fish, huge conch and live sand dollars the size of my hand! This area is a national park so the fish and sea creatures are protected here. They seem to really thrive!

Not wanting to miss the tide we had to head back to the West side of the island before too late. At low tide the cut through the mangroves goes dry. It would be a long haul dragging the dinghy back though. We got this tip from some friends who were not so lucky the day before.

Friday we were underway again heading South to Warderick Wells. This is where we are now. It is by far the most magnificent place we have been on the trip to date! The mooring field is stunning! We are moored between the beach about 75 yards away and a sand bar about 1 boat length on the other side. We can see the bottom everywhere around. From the dinghy we can see Anastasia's rudder, prop and keel! We are in the Exuma Cays Land & Sea Park. Check out their website. It is fascinating. We are in the Northern mooring field.

Today, I am going to bake a chocolate birthday cake for Maxwell. Tomorrow is his birthday! We plan to celebrate with friends aboard Anastasia in the afternoon!

Sorry no photos yet...once we have a stronger internet connection I promise to upload our photos and video so you all can share in the breath taking sights.

We love it here!
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog