17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

Movin' South

21 January 2010 | The Black Point Settlement, Great Guana Cay, Exumas
by Jen
The past week has flown by! I guess that is how it is down here. Our days have been filled with exploring and relaxing, swimming and socializing. We left Warderick Wells...well, I don't know when. The days actually escape me. After leaving Warderick Wells we went to Staniel Cay. We anchored just West of Big Major Island. This was our first taste of Bahamian culture outside of Nassau. Staniel Cay is a small island of about 300 people. We spent a day ashore exploring...mostly trying to find the local dump to get rid of our trash. It costs $5 to dispose of it at the marina. We were not having that!

We indulged ourselves at the yacht club with some conch fritters, just to taste them! We had never had them before so we were curious to try this Bahamian delicacy. The next day we went snorkeling and found 3 conch ourselves and made our own fritters that rivaled the yacht club's recipe! It was a gorgeous day for snorkeling with no wind and flat calm water. We did get stalked by a 4' barracuda for about 20 minutes until he decided that we were no threat.

Today we moved further South to Great Guana Cay to the Black Point Settlement. The people here are so friendly. Our main draw here was the free water and laundry facilities. We think that we might stay for a few days because it is such a quaint place and what we think a true picture of a Bahamian lifestyle really is. We want to soak up the culture!

The laundry was $3.50 a load and the water was, as I said above, free! We just had to lug it from the spigot to the dinghy dock and back to Anastasia. We decided to pass on the $3.50 dryers and hang our laundry on deck. What a sight!

Today we have gotten internet at Lorrain's cafe. It is an interesting experience. We have hit the happy hour and are enjoying Kalik, 3 for $10. What a deal! We are thinking about jumping out to Cat Island and San Salvador with a not common West wind in the forecast.

We hope to update soon but internet is scarce among the islands. But isn't that what we are looking for? To be free in paradise!

Here is a shot for you to enjoy.


Conch Fritters!
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog