17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

Long Island

28 February 2010 | Clarence Town Long Island, Bahamas
by Jen
We LOVE Long Island! This is one of the larger islands in the Bahamas. It is 80 miles long and 4 miles wide. The local population is around 4,000! Much more than Rum Cay, our last stop. Some other interesting facts: 165 miles SE of Nassau, 300 miles from Florida.

For the past week we have been anchored in the Clarence Town Harbor with no more than 4-5 other boats the whole time. This anchorage is one of the most beautiful so far rivaling, in my opinion, that of Warderick Wells Cay. The only drawback has been the weather. It seems that every third day we are kept on the boat due to a threatening cold front bringing high winds and rain. We are told that this is extremely uncommon weather for the Bahamas during this time of year.

In the last entry I told you about our farewell wishes to our pals aboard Foxglove. Their journey is leading them further South and we were thrilled to find them anchored here in Clarence Town. We thought that they would be long gone but those pesky cold fronts have been holding them hostage. Lucky for us we have been able to hang out with them and also other new friends traveling with them, Shaka and Virage all week.

When the mornings are calm all of the fellas go fishing on the ocean side. The lead photo is Maxwell with his first lobster! It was very tasty! In the afternoons we tend to have a happy hour on our private beach, munching on fresh conch fritters, grouper fingers, mahi mahi, and lobster wrapped in bacon all while dancing around a roaring campfire. For dessert, you can choose fresh brownies, kettle corn or everyone's favorite: campfire marshmallows!

We have really enjoyed the company of our friends, new and "old." (If you have known each other at least a month then you are old friends.) Shaka and Virage are both families of four. Aboard Shaka is JC & Isabel and on Virage is François and Julianne. Their little people are quizzing Maxwell and I on our French of which I have to say Maxwell is much better. Both of these boats have sailed down from Quebec together and are headed to Cuba with Foxglove. After Cuba Virage is heading back North so we may meet again in our trek along the coast.

On Wednesday, Sinead and I went ashore exploring Clarence Town. What an enchanting settlement! On Long Island, farming is a big way of life, much more than the other islands. Sinead showed me the packing house where the farmers bring their goods to package and send out to the other islands for sale. The neat thing is that you can buy there too. I picked up a dozen green tomatoes, some bananas, plantains, peppers, and a papaya.

I have to mention our tour guide through the town. He was of a short stature and walked kinda fast but was very loyal. Every stop we made he waited patiently outside ready to walk us somewhere else. His name was Happy and it was a perfect name as he was just that. Happy is a black and white Boston Terrier that belongs to one of the locals but loves everyone. Even people he does not know. He guided us along the road stopping only to sniff the bushes and a tire now and again. He was a delight.

On Friday, we all ventured ashore. All twelve of us! Our destination was Thompson Bay, 40 miles North. So, for the first time in my life, I hitch hiked! We all did! It was great fun. Just stick out your finger and the first car/truck to come along will always stop to offer a lift. We rode in about six different vehicles throughout the day up and back. The local people are so kind and friendly. Some even gave us history on the sights as we rode along. It was a great way to travel.

We plan to be here for a few more days until we will head back NW toward George Town to meet my Parents. We are really looking forward to their visit...and also a hot shower in their rented cottage!
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog