17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

What we have been up to lately!

24 March 2009
Jen
Hi Everyone!

So, they say a picture is worth 1000 words...have a look below to see what we have been up to over the past few weeks. Busy, busy, busy!



This is a shot of Maxwell and my Dad working on the bowsprit.



Here is Maxwell inspecting a rotten piece of white oak that He and my Dad had just cut out.



Here are the rotten boards that we removed. You can see the "water" marks.





Here I am sanding the bowsprit! After the past few weeks I answer to the new name of Sandy.



How LUCKY we are to have this wood shop to work in! I grew up with my Pop creating all sorts of things in this wood shop and never ever imagined that I would have such a special project of my own to work on here too!



I am applying West Systems for the new pieces of oak. We found the NICEST man in Ware Neck to mill the boards for us. Come to find out, he is from England and used to build wooden sailboats! What a small world! You can check out his website @ www.woodshoponware.com.



More West Systems.



Here it is all glued up! What a gluey mess!



Finally! Some visual progress! We are starting to paint the boot stripe and arrows on the side. Bye bye purple! Hello beautiful, majestic, classy navy blue!



And the wood we have been sanding for so long...it is sucking in the varnish! Look at that!





On Sunday, my Dad came by to help. He worked on the stuffing boxes! Here he is trying to explain to me how they work.



The scrolly wood detail on the side has gotten a fresh coat of primer. Our plans are to paint this area the same navy as the side arrow and highlight the scroll with gold.



Can you tell? The side wood work has a fresh coat of varnish! It looks so good! And the boot stripe and arrow are now navy blue!

Now you are up to date on our progress. Thank you all for your support! This is not just our trip...we are doing it for you too! I hope that this blog is successful in sharing the experience with those we care so much for. Let us know what you think!

Till next time!
-Jen
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog