ANDAMON GOES NORTH

The inside story on what its really like to cruise the east coast of Australia.

22 June 2008 | Airlie Beach
20 June 2008 | 'Hammo'
19 June 2008 | Hammilton Island
17 June 2008 | Mackay
16 June 2008 | Curlew Island
15 June 2008 | Middle Percy Island
14 June 2008 | Townshend Island
13 June 2008 | Pearl Bay
12 June 2008 | Yeppoon
11 June 2008 | Cape Capricorn
06 June 2008 | Bundaberg
05 June 2008 | Hervey Bay
31 May 2008 | Mooloolabah
27 May 2008 | At Mooloolaba
26 May 2008 | Tangalooma
24 May 2008 | Sanctuary Cove
15 May 2008 | Hope Harbour Marina
12 May 2008 | Ballina
02 May 2008 | Port Macquarie

Escape from Mooloolaba

05 June 2008 | Hervey Bay
25 degrees - light winds
The look of happiness and serenity as we apporach Hervey Bay marina - who'd of thought that 24 hrs earlier Lyn was a nervous wreck as we rode the Wide Bay Bar.

After 7 days we finally left Mooloolaba yesterday morning along with our friends Peter and Paula sailing 'Valhalla'. After endless discussions with the Mooloolaba boat people, we decided the best way to cross the bar was to head out early and aim to cross at 4:00 in the afternoon, 3 hours after low tide, and not cross at high tide which we originally thought was mandatory. This way we avoided sailing at night or crossing the bar at night, both difficult on a new moon (i.e. no moon at all - sailing in pitch black).

The Wide Bay Bar itself stood up to exectations, a bumpy ride with mainly following waves about the height of Andamon's roof. At the bar these become more vertical and break, but somehow we only had one breaking wave hit us. This time we decided to go slowly to avoid actually catching the waves, we let them pass underneath, and this worked well. Andamon seems to handle following waves without fuss. Catamarans have no lead in the keel and therefore rise easily when waves approach. However, Lyn was still terrified because the route that is followed is a channel between shallower waters where breaking waves are everywhere, an awesome sight. I was a bit dissappointed given all the hype we'd been hearing for the past week, I thought that we could have been pooped at least once (pooped = wave breaks and fills cockpit).

Last night we stayed behind Fraser Island, anchoring along the shore, and the weather which had been cyclonic the week before was so calm the stars were reflecting off the mirror-like water, a wonderful scene.

Today we motored up the Sandy Straits , the water seperating Fraser and Qld coast. This is the third day we've had to use the engines with no wind, we are really pining for some normal wind for a change. We've had to come in to re-fuel. The photo was taken at the end of the day just after I phoned a friend in Sydney who described the miserable weather down there, sounded awful. Tomorrow we head to Bundaberg, and then to Lady Musgrave Island which we are really looking forward to.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andamon
Vessel Make/Model: Seawind 1160
Hailing Port: Cronulla, NSW, Australia
Crew: Jon and Lyn
About:
This is a story about two really nice people who are heading north for the Australian winter. Jon has a background in IT and specialises in talking about sailing stuff to sailing friends. [...]

ANDAMON

Who: Jon and Lyn
Port: Cronulla, NSW, Australia