sv Andiamo III

Let's Go! Welcome to the Reynolds Family sailing blog. We are a family of four setting sail from Olympia, WA to experience the adventure of a lifetime!

17 February 2012 | Costa Del Sol, El Salvador
01 January 2012 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico
13 November 2011 | La Cruz De Huanacaxle
08 November 2011 | La Cruz Anchorage
04 July 2011 | Marina La Cruz, Mexico
04 July 2011 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
20 February 2011 | Yelapa, Jalisco, Mexico
11 January 2011 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit Mexico
07 December 2010 | Bahia De Los Muertos
04 December 2010 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur
20 November 2010 | Sea of Cortez
05 November 2010 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur
28 October 2010 | Bahia Tortugas, Baja, Mexico
23 October 2010 | USS Midway, San Diego, CA
20 October 2010 | Glorietta Bay, Coronado, CA
17 October 2010 | Shelter Island, San Diego, CA
14 October 2010 | San Diego, CA
13 October 2010 | San Diego, CA
11 October 2010 | San Diego, CA
03 October 2010 | Two Harbors, Catalina Island, CA

Yellowstone and the little truck that could

02 August 2010 | Yellowstone National Park and points East
Eugene
After the Reynolds' camping adventure, we continued our eastward trek towards Yellowstone National Park. Just the 150+ mile drive through the park is breathtaking. We saw mule dear, bison, bald eagles, rivers, waterfalls, hot springs, geysers, and much more. The kids really enjoyed the sights. We made the mandatory stop at Old Faithful and waited almost an hour to see it's magic. The weather was beautiful and half of America was there as well. After an hour of waiting and a visit to the gift shop, Old Faithful put on a show as predicted. It was pretty awesome.

Later, we continued our drive through the park, stopping to admire the beauty of Yellowstone Lake. After dragging our trailer up and down the hills of the park, we finally made it to the East entrance and pressed on towards Cody, Wyoming. Until now, the truck and trailer had performed pretty well. We knew we were quite heavy but felt confident in the abilities of our little Nissan Xterra. Arrogantly, we bypassed the few gas stations in Cody and pressed on towards Graybull. In Graybull, we still had a almost half a tank of fuel and didn't think we needed to stop. We also thought the biggest hills were behind us. Bighorn National Forest proved us wrong. The drive from Graybull, WY to Sheridan will humble even the strongest of motor vehicles. About halfway up the mountain, the truck began to protest and showed its displeasure by pushing the engine temperature gauge towards the "H"! We had to pull over and let things cool off. After a quick break and engine check, we continued towards the 9,000 foot pass - a little slower this time. While watching the engine temperature spike, we watched the fuel gauge plummet and the little "gas light" stare us in the face for another 25 miles or so. Not only were we worried that the "little truck that could" wouldn't make it over the mountain, but that we were going to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere and have to walk 20 miles down this behemoth to the nearest gas station. In the end, the truck made it and we coasted into a small country gas station just on the other side of the mountain. We filled up and pressed on.

After a stressful morning and afternoon, things smoothed out a bit and we made good progress. We finally made it to our layover stop in Rapid City, SD. Everyone was happy and we all slept like the dead.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo III
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Hans Christian 43T
Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
Crew: Eugene, Tami, Christian, & Abigayle Reynolds along with Toby (the dog), Stripe (the gecko), and Spike (the fish)
About:
We are a family of four from Olympia, WA living on our sailboat. Currently in Banderas Bay, Mexico waiting out hurricane season. Who knows where we will end up? We are taking an enormous risk, both physically and financially. [...]
Extra: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” –Mark Twain

sv Andiamo III

Who: Eugene, Tami, Christian, & Abigayle Reynolds along with Toby (the dog), Stripe (the gecko), and Spike (the fish)
Port: Olympia, WA
Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast