Andiamo Naples

....one woman's take on round-the-world... (well, sort of)

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
23 October 2014 | The Islands of Eastern Fiji
12 October 2014 | East of Savusavu, Fiji
30 September 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Lape Village, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
14 September 2014 | Neiafu, Vava'u in The Kingdom of Tonga
01 September 2014 | safely in Neiafu, Vavua, Tonga
31 August 2014 | hundreds of miles from anywhere
21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
28 July 2014
10 July 2014
09 July 2014 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
17 June 2014 | departing Anse Amyot, Tuamotus
24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
03 May 2014 | Rikitea, Mangareva
24 April 2014 | En Route to French Polynesia

The Magnificent Marquesas I

24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
Dede
I cannot believe I have already been back on board for a month. We arrived in these magnificent Marquesas on May 10th after an "easy" 6 day (and night - yikes!) passage from the Gambiers. The seas were quite flat with light winds that required motoring for the first few days - MY kind of passage! How amazing is it that I can call ANY passage of this duration "easy". You've come a long way baby (and that is not to suggest anything but being very lucky with the passage gods - thank you, thank you).

Each of the Marquesan islands we have visited has brought its own odd sounding, vowel-laden name ......and its own unique rewards. (For now, I will share our experiences on the first three with more to come).

FATU HIVA, our first stop, the southernmost island of the Marquesas, is breathtakingly beautiful, a quintessential Polynesian treasure, a TEN. Especially welcomed after 6 days at seas, we could see the imposing outline of the island for miles as we approached. Once we dropped anchor in the Bay of Virgins, we stood on the foredeck in awe of this unparalleled view of the lush, green-cloaked peaks and jagged spires rising nearly vertically from the indigo water to a height over 3000 feet.

Ashore, the village of Hanavave is sparsely populated, which creates a kind of peaceful serenity as we explore on foot. On wobbly sea legs, passed by only one car on our hour and a half long trek, we work our way slowly up the steep paved road for a 2000 foot high view back on the anchorage. We cannot believe our poor luck and timing as our camera, apparently another victim of the harsh sea environment, has chosen now to fail; Regrettably we must rely on i-phone photos of these magnificent vistas. On our second day, we finally find the right cairns and trust the leashes holding off the nasty sounding dogs and work our way deep into the dense terrain to reach a 200 foot waterfall cascading over multi-colored, glistening volcanic rock. We savor the moment and enjoy the view but refrain from taking a plunge in the natural pool as we have heard the eels like this spot.

On our walk back we pluck a bunch of bananas off a tree deep in the brush (hence not belonging to anyone) and pick up handfuls of lemons on the side of the road dropped from the overflowing trees by the strong breezes that funnel down these narrow canyons. Frangipani, hibiscus, bougainvillea, fruit trees, and large swaths of spindly palm trees reaching for the sky, punctuate the dense dark green backdrop. Chickens scurry along the roads and hogs are tied up in yards while wild goats traverse the treacherous inclines off in the distance. When we encounter the villagers heading to Sunday church services, I can't take my eyes off this one lovely Polynesian woman in particular. She mesmerizes me with her golden brown skin dressed in a floor-length white cotton lace-trimmed gown, mother of pearl broach and necklace, circle of flowers in her hair, carrying her pray book and seemingly rehearsing her sermon under her breath as she strolled along towards church. This quiet island, devoid of an airstrip and off the beaten path, is the real deal and we "yatchies" are lucky to have this rare glimpse of simple, unspoiled Polynesian life.

HIVA OA, is our next destination and is the largest island of the chain. It again is characterized by its rich green dramatic mountains, so towering and lush that their highest points are typically shrouded in the clouds. But I could have easily skipped this disappointingly crowded and not particularly boat-friendly anchorage (the town and small markets are a 40 minute uphill walk away), EXCEPT for the key fact that Paul Gauguin is buried here. The artist, after leaving France and spending a decade in Tahiti, lived his final two years here in the town of Atuona and is buried in Calvary Cemetery on a hill overlooking the bay.

David and I made the one hour walk to the cemetery. Unassuming as the grave site is, it took us several minutes to locate it. To me, it appeared as if someone had hand-placed the small volcanic rocks that designate the area. Prior visitors had left a few fresh flowers, a string of beads, a silver-glossed paintbrush. The marker simply reads: "Paul Gauguin 1903", as if perhaps they did not know the year of his birth. Back in town I toured the Gauguin museum. While the collection consists of only copies, it is an extensive and comprehensive perspective of the artist's body of work and I had the unique experience of wandering through room after room as the lone visitor. Just behind the museum is the perched thatched hut that served as Gauguin's studio/home for the two brief years he spent in the Marquesas before his death. To be viewing Gauguin's vibrant, colorful, distinctive Polynesian portraits and landscapes while being physically here - in situ, as it were - living and breathing and seeing and smelling Polynesia, was especially moving and memorable.

TAHUATA: We depart Hiva Oa for a short, fast sail over to Tahuata, eager to leave a busy harbor behind us and hang out by a quiet, deserted palm-tree lined beach. Not only is this island not deserted (more on that below), but the anchorage is anything but empty. As we are trying to drop our hook in the late afternoon sun, we mill around and recognize roughly the same dozen or so boats making the circuit about these islands. We shouldn't be surprised, as not only is this the ideal time of the year to make the Pacific crossing, but the Marquesas serve as the gateway and clearing in point of entry to French Polynesia for virtually all of these boats. In particular, we seem to have converged here with the West Coasters - from Edmonton and Seattle and various California ports - who left Puerto Vallarta, Mexico about a month ago and traveled together with the Pacific Puddle rally. Added to this mix, we have also met a number of young families hailing from England and Rotterdam and South Africa. With English as a common language and ocean crossing as a common experience it is easy to connect. (In a likewise manner, the French speaking yachties tend to hang together).

....So more on our not-so-deserted island. Next morning, Eric beaches the dinghy and goes ashore alone to explore. Low and behold, even though he has no knife, he returns with coconuts expertly cracked open to share the delicious coconut water inside. Eric has met Steven, the exactly one resident in this bay, whose family owns this hunk of the planet. Steven is a tall, muscular man with shoulder length dark hair and a number of characteristic Marquesan tattoos (considered to be the most intricate in the world). He lives in an open air shack with no walls - the lone structure on this beach - and tends the property's fruit trees and makes copra (dried coconut that is sold to make coconut oil). Problem is, he is finding that when he leaves the island, fruits are being stolen. Not suspecting the cruisers, but to insure we know not to take fruit without permission, Stephanie, one of the boaters, organizes a potluck and bonfire ashore with Steven's help. I suspect in reality Steven just likes the company, as he could not be more generous and gracious inviting this ragtag menagerie to his surfside front yard. It was a special night: the grown-ups now putting faces with those boat names while the cross-section of kids ran around nearly naked, enthusiastically adding leaves and branches to the bonfire and looking on in wonder as Steven, a veritable Polynesian pied piper, cut open a spiny sea urchin and shared the slimy raw meat with fresh-squeezed lemon.

We all get a chance to mingle. Eric chats with jovial Bjorn, a peer-aged crew member donning a red-bandana and corn-rowed beard that jangles when he laughs, which he often does. David shares his road-less-traveled tales of Easter Island/Pitcairn/Gambier with the other intrigued Captains. I get a rare opportunity to talk to other sail wives who concur that, despite what equality we might have ashore, on the boat, especially on the boat, chores quickly devolve to pink jobs and blue jobs, and despite what brain power we (once) had ashore, on the boat, especially on the boat, life becomes an endless cycle of Home EC and Shop.

Before we shove off the next morning, Eric spears a Parrot Fish to give to Steven who is so thrilled he sends him back with a burlap bag brimming with lemons and oranges and pamplemousse. No scurvy for this crew, that's for sure. Delicious!

.....to be continued...... check back. Magnificent Marquesas II coming soon.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran - Robertson & Caine design
Hailing Port: Naples, FL, USA
Crew: David, Dede & Eric
About:
Catalyzed by my husband David's unexpected early retirement and cemented by our 25-year-old son Eric 's eagerness to (pay his way and) join us, I find myself a reluctant but willing third-shift circumnavigator....well not really. [...]
Extra: "When we stop struggling we float" ... from The Book of Awakening
Social:
Andiamo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Happy 56th Birthday, Captain Dave. Remember these sailing moments?
11 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
A glimpse at the challenges of provisioning and stowing.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Captain David and Eric spend 6 days covering much sea
27 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
Eric arrives on his 23rd birthday; Dede leaves for home
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
In the ICW with stops at Southport, NC and Georgetown, SC, as well as motoring through The Ditch
18 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
Hatteras, Ocracoke, Oriental (ICW) and Cape Lookout, sailing to Wrightsville Beach
33 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
Norfolk, The Great Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth City, Manteo
25 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
New Jersey Coast, Cape May, Annapolis, St. Michaels and Oxford and the southern Chesapeake
43 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
Sailing down "memory lane" - Long Island Sound - we visit with Uncle Paul & Aunt Ann and Marty & Linda as we anchor in Black Rock Harbor; then on to NYC
31 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
What an awesome time cycling around Nantucket and hitting different ports on The Vineyard!
26 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
Highlights: visit w/ LAURA's family AND celebrating our 30th anniversary at the OCEAN HOUSE
27 Photos
Created 5 September 2011
After 1998.9 miles, we begin our return home from Bar Harbor. With Katie & Eric still with us we also makes plans for Hurricane Irene
21 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
Katie & Eric join us to explore our country's second most visited park
34 Photos
Created 23 August 2011
Boothbay - Visiting with Cousin Fran & Family; Katie & Eric arrive!
30 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
Starting out at Kittery Point and heading to Booth Bay Harbor
23 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Captain Dave and Reluctant First Mate Dede begin THE GREAT SAILING ADVENTURE from Stonington, CT
25 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
Captain Dave and First Mate Mike sail from Virgina Beach to Stonington, CT. Dede Finally shows up!
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2011
Captain Dave, who is later joined by temporary First Mate Todd, sails from Naples to Virgina Beach
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2011