S/V Puddle Pirate goes cruising

Ankley's family adventure, cruising with kids.

30 January 2016 | Mushroom Rock
12 January 2016 | San Carlos
29 January 2015 | La Cruz
21 December 2014 | San Diego
22 October 2014 | San Diego
12 June 2014 | Washington
04 May 2014 | 150 miles off the Island of Guadalupe
15 April 2014 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
08 April 2014 | La Paz
10 March 2014 | La Cruz
09 February 2014 | La Cruz
26 January 2014 | La Paz
03 January 2014 | San Carlos, Mexico
21 December 2013 | San Carlos, Mexico
09 September 2013 | Everett
03 July 2013 | Everett
10 June 2013 | Washington, USA
16 May 2013 | Santa Rosalia
29 April 2013 | Island Coranodo's
22 April 2013 | Puerto Escondido

We have arrived!

21 December 2013 | San Carlos, Mexico
Tamberlyn
We finally made it to San Carlos, Mexico. I know we are a little late heading out this year. But after days of driving with lots of stops along the way, we made it. Our first stop was to say goodbye to all our family in the south sound. We visited with Lew’s mom and older brother for a couple of days then we were off to Reno Nevada. Gabby had been staying in Reno since September. We stayed in the Golden Nugget while in Reno; it was a very nice hotel. Can you believe I didn’t gamble at all, I know right? For me that was out of the norm. I always at least hit the one armed bandits, but not this time. Anyway after visiting with Gabby we headed out to Arizona. Lake Havasu was our next stop.

Our youngest crew member was visiting her grandparents who live in Lake Havasu. We had to pick Rosie up and say our goodbyes. Oh we also couldn’t leave without saying hi and goodbye to our good friend Captain John and his wife “the salmon queen” Trish. And of course Trish had a big barbeque with salmon on the menu, Yummy!

After we left Lake Havasu we headed south through Green Valley. It was a very nice drive along winding down the Colorado River. After 2 days of driving with our land yacht we finally arrived at the Mexican Border. The border crossing was relatively painless. However the drive through Nogeles was not easy with the tight turns. Remember we were driving a land yacht. I was so grateful it wasn’t one of those huge motor homes. Our land yacht is a 26ft. class C. It’s just the right size for our family. Anyway we drove all day to finally arrive in San Carlos just as the sun was setting. It was a beautiful sun set with the land mark twin peaks in the foreground.

The next day we had our boat moved to the work yard. I tried to schedule it earlier but with all the cruisers migrating back to their boats, I should have called ahead. Puddle Pirate was placed in the yard later that day. The anticipation of waiting so long to see Puddle Pirate, I felt like a kid at Christmas when she finally came into focus. After a look over she was just as we left her, a lot of work! That is OK because I would rather be cleaning the boat in the Mexican Riviera then back in Washington’s cold weather.

So now the work begins. Lew started sanding the bottom but he quickly realized it was a huge job. We decided then and there, we would hire this job out and work on the many other jobs needing to be done. Remember we purchased a new hydro vane. Lew is going to install that system while I roll up my sleeves and clean. Oh right I’m in Mexico, I don’t ware sleeves. Rosie is a big help, Daddy is hoisting her butt up the mast tomorrow. I am so glad it is not me. Well I will keep you updated on are progress as we get Puddle Pirate back in the water and then head down for La Cruz. It looks like we will be in the yard for at least 2 weeks.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Comments
Vessel Name: Puddle Pirate
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft. Gulfstar ketch
Hailing Port: Hidden Harbor, WA
Crew: Lew, Tamberlyn andAubryanna Rose
About: Lew and Tamberlyn lived in Tulalip, WA with their 3 youngest kids. Lew retired from Boeing in June 2011, then we cut the dock lines for good and went cruising full time. Their oldest daughter Crystal and son Fernando will keep to the land and visit in the winters.
Extra: Warm sunshine is what we seek! Oh Lew is always on a hunt for good pizza.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/directory_name/mistress2
Social:
Puddle Pirate's Photos - Count down to cruising (Main)
5 Photos
Created 29 January 2015
Banderas Bay
11 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Puddle Pirate gets her bottom fixed and painted
5 Photos
Created 26 January 2014
Taken in Hawaii in the 80's
11 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
2013 Mexico season
9 Photos
Created 13 February 2013
12 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
12 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
13 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
55 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
42 Photos
Created 27 April 2012