Florida 2014

20 March 2014 | Waccamaw River
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
15 March 2014
07 March 2014 | Jacksonville
04 March 2014
04 March 2014
04 March 2014
04 March 2014 | St. Augustine
25 February 2014

Dear Diary....oops, wrong blog

15 March 2014
I'm not sure where the time goes, but it does fly by. I left you last week outside of Jacksonville in crappy weather. Well Saturday did turn into a beautiful day so we took advantage of it and went up the St. Johns River to the city of Jacksonville. Much to our surprise they have free docks that you can tie up to. On Saturday we stayed at Jacksonville Landing which is right in the heart of downtown. It was a great day and lots of people were out enjoying the day. We left Sunday morning to explore the St. Johns river a bit more. We cruised about 20 miles and anchored at Magnolia Point which was a good anchorage. Captain decided that he really wanted to start heading back so we returned on Monday to another free dock, this one by the stadium. This dock had cement floating docks, metered electricity and water. Not much around it, but it was FREE! (nice too). We want to take advantage of the good weather so we decided to head to Fernandina Beach and grab a mooring ball. Really enjoyed watching all the activities in the Port of Jacksonville. Lots of ships and cargo being moved. I could watch that all day long. Had a good trip to Fernandina and planning to stay there a few days because ANOTHER cold front was going to come thru and create a LOT of wind. We also decided we needed another Grayson visit to Orlando so we rented a car and drove there Wednesday to spend the day. It was Jack's birthday Tuesday and Alyson and Todd's anniversary Wed. so we combined everything. Convinced Alyson that she and Todd needed to get out for a few hours so I could have Grayson all to myself! Had a great day and got back to the boat around midnight. I was wondering when the front was going to come thru and holy mackerel, we weren't on the boat 20 mins. when all hell broke loose as far as wind was concerned. We probably had 2.5 ftrs and we were bobbing. A bit noisy down below, but did manage to fall asleep. We sat tight Thursday as it was still blustery knowing that Friday things would settle down. As planned Friday was great and we headed to Cumberland Island in GA. We had stopped there two years ago and anchored behind the island. I knew there was lots to see and had told myself if we ever got back here, I wanted to explore it. We did and it turned out to be a fabulous day. We walked to the ocean from the bay side and it was spectacular. The dunes are incredible and so glad the few residents that lived there decided back in 1972 that they did not want development and fought the developers. Cumberland is part of the National Park program so is preserved. It is also the home of Dungeness, the Carnegie's summer retreat at the turn of the century. All is in ruin now, but a sight to behold. Had a good walk on the island and a good night at anchorage. Off today to St. Simons area and looking at more rain Sunday so we need to plan accordingly. Have been able to anchor or moored 8 days now, so have really enjoyed it. Still in blue jeans though. Will post some pics.
Comments
Vessel Name: Another Chapter
Vessel Make/Model: 1988 Marine Trader Trawler
Hailing Port: St. James, NC
Crew: Captain Jack, First Mate Pat

Who: Captain Jack, First Mate Pat
Port: St. James, NC