Anthem Adrift

16 April 2024 | USVI
15 April 2024 | USVI
14 April 2024 | USVI
13 April 2024 | USVI
12 April 2024 | USVI
11 April 2024 | USVI
30 March 2024 | BVI
27 March 2024 | British Virgin Islands
22 March 2024 | En Route BVI
20 March 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay
15 March 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay
08 March 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay
29 February 2024 | JMC Shipyard, St Martin
24 February 2024 | Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 February 2024 | Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
07 February 2024 | St Petersburg, Florida
29 January 2024 | St Petersburg, Florida
22 January 2024 | Tampa, Florida
21 January 2024 | Tampa, Florida
17 January 2024 | Tampa, Florida

Here We Are, So There It Is

03 March 2013 | West End, Grand Bahama
Monday 11 February 2013

Previous entry was a slight exaggeration as we had, at that time, only agreed on price. No survey on "Shazza" had been accomplished. As inspection showed no imminent danger of sinking, closing is Wednesday (lucky 13th) and the new name will be "Anthem", not "II" or "Jr." or "Son of", just a reprise of the one on the Cabo Rico which is now called "Venture". Too many things (email address, etc.) incorporate the name and anyway it means something.

So here we are, driving north to Valdosta, Georgia for the purpose of notarizing a signature on boat loan papers. Are there no notaries in Florida you query? Well yes, actually, there are, but they charge $700. OK, they don't, but the state of Florida in its infinite (money grubbing, leech-like) wisdom, for the pleasure and privilege of consummating the transaction under its auspices, does, so we earn $100 an hour while frittering away a day. Strangely enough, because we promise to decamp and never, never, ever, ever, ever return, the state treasury exempts us from sales tax.

Thursday 14 February

Frittered away Tuesday with the dentist, the dermatologist and getting a hair cut and two of our legs waxed. I preferred to remained fuzzy and normally don't get the full bikini treatment anyway. Also spent the afternoon attempting to miniaturize a boat unit worth of stuff from Costco by de-packaging.

As yesterday was closing day we drove back across the state to discover that Wells Fargo wanted to make a couple extra bucks on float so didn't acknowledge receipt of wired money until past bank hours. Because Tiger was in town for the Hunter Classic golf tourney we had to rummage a bit to find the one available overnight accommodation not rented by the hour. Getting sorted the next day involved the last of a bazzilion (very high number) signatures, unloading our grossly over-stuffed crap-box of a Kia Rio into the newly christened "Anthem" and storing/securing it all in preparation for departure to Miami next morning.

Wednesday 20 February

Following eventual discovery that pressing glow plug button while cranking the engine as was done on previous boat didn't have the same felicitous outcome (the word "stop" is nearly worn off the "glow plug" button...) we had an uneventful trip motor-sailing then motoring the 62 NM to Crandon Marina in light to non- existent wind. This allowed full use of previously, optimistically purchased Miami Boat Show tickets Saturday through Monday where unconscionable quantities of USDs were expended buying boat stuff.

Sunday 3 March

There was one more trip back west to get last of purchases and revisit dentist and skin guy for additional torture then back again to boat. Sail (motor) up to Ft. Lauderdale to await weather and shorten distance to West End resulted (after our first night on new Rocna anchor - let's see, this would be last Friday) in running aground, jamming the inmast furler, but finally enjoying a grand sail across the the Gulf Stream to Old Bahama Bay Marina where we will reside until, probably, Tuesday. Confused? Get in line? er, queue.

Future plans? Finish the gin & tonic currently in hand, then, umm...? OK, here's the grand strategy such as is currently formulated. After returning to Miami will leave the boat several weeks for a trip to Singapore getting Jan a new knee. Her with a busted fetlock and unable to race anymore this was a better alternative than putting her down. After returning to Cuba West and taking possession of additional online purchases will beat feet through the Eastern Caribbean before hurricanes season starts, work our way over the summer across Venezuela, the ABCs and Columbia to Panama, go through the Canal and up to Mexico after hurricane season ends (November) and spend awhile there before moving back south for the crossing into the South Pacific in 2014. Or something entirely different. I'm personally expecting that second thing because there's just not enough time to see much along the way. We will return to SoPac eventually.

No need to thank me for not following through on warning at end of previous blog. Regular abuse will eventually ensue.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Jack
Comments
Vessel Name: Anthem
Vessel Make/Model: 1997 Hylas 46
Hailing Port: Weeki Wachee, FL
Crew: Jack Warren, Janice Holmes disgraceful.twaddle@gmail.com
About:
Jack: Formerly productive member of the community as a Northwest Airlines Captain who retired to become a drain on, and embarrassment to, polite society. [...]
Extra:
While I will be delighted if anyone else enjoys these excursions into semi-intelligible foolishness, the primary purpose is personal amusement. This is not travelogue, cruising guide or philosophical exploration of anything in particular, merely random musing of a slightly twisted mind. Despite [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anthem
Anthem's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 January 2017
Waterfall, etc.
5 Photos
Created 19 May 2009

S/V Anthem

Who: Jack Warren, Janice Holmes disgraceful.twaddle@gmail.com
Port: Weeki Wachee, FL
For a better map select "View Tracking" and click "+" below "Google" left lower of Sailblogs map. Download .kml file and open with Google Earth. See full profile for information on why this mess is being foisted upon an innocent world and for information on contact. Don't be a stranger.
page visitor counter
who is online counter blog counter