Anthem Adrift

14 April 2024 | USVI
13 April 2024 | USVI
12 April 2024 | USVI
11 April 2024 | USVI
30 March 2024 | BVI
27 March 2024 | British Virgin Islands
22 March 2024 | En Route BVI
20 March 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay
15 March 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay
08 March 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay
29 February 2024 | JMC Shipyard, St Martin
24 February 2024 | Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 February 2024 | Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
07 February 2024 | St Petersburg, Florida
29 January 2024 | St Petersburg, Florida
22 January 2024 | Tampa, Florida
21 January 2024 | Tampa, Florida
17 January 2024 | Tampa, Florida
16 January 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Sint Maarten
12 January 2024 | Lagoon Marina, Sint Maarten

So Wrong

17 November 2016 | Fruit Bat Bay
Sunday 13 November 2016

Just wanted to write to give everyone the news as it may have slipped by you. Donald Trump has been elected president of the US. Oh sure, I know it was a foregone conclusion, but being compassionate and kind wanted to comfort all you sensitive, caring guys and gals who voted for Hillary either as the lesser of 2 weasels or because you really, really think she's a great women's roll model and because she wants to bomb the crap out of anyone who pisses her off. The disappointment will fade over time and lets face it, her administration would have been dull and predictable, not to mention dispiriting what with all the lawsuits and such. The excitement of having a game show host president who hasn't got a clue about how to head anything bigger than a casino will be terrific. Since no one has a clue what he's going to do, we can assume the fun surprises will come fast and furious. Man, I can't wait for all the cool stuff and subsequent gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair from the usual suspects and to be honest, as long as no one steals my savings and pension (and we remain on the other side of earth to avoid splatter), it's all going to be great theater. For anyone who gives a crap (and there's no reason you should) I didn't vote for either the crook or the art of the dealer, but thinking in terms of ideas, not specific buttheads and not concerned that either major weasel will, contrary to pundits and scare-mongers, actually destroy the country before the next election, cast a ballot, as always, for the Libertarian. Most of you live your lives socially tolerant and fiscally responsible, why not vote that way? Oh, never mind, you should probably disregard all after "...president of the US."

So the interminable campaign season has ended and we can all resume our actual lives and pretend the whole thing was an LSD flashback. Not having used the stuff, Jan & I must resort to gin and wine to make it go away, but hey, whatever works.

Wednesday

Now that we've returned from the western hemisphere and I've pissed off nearly everyone in the US and confused everyone else, it's back to writing about crap that happens while living on a boat in the wilds of Southeast Asia.

Sorong harbor is a smelly pit. Anchorage is just in front of a shipyard, a fish market and a creek that with each rain flushes out tons of waste including rotting fish and feces. Do NOT go in the water. Nevertheless found many necessary parts in town and people to fix a broken exhaust manifold on the Panda and get the 2 Kw Honda generator running. Yesterday with installation of a new pump also got the water maker churning out beautiful sweet water. Thanks Wick for all your help. Glad tidings of great joy for the fixes and that we haven't grown a third eye or second head. As of Tuesday, however, we have moved on. Goodbye Sorong - forever.

Friday

After a couple nights of rest and relaxation in the clear, clean water of an open roadstead 10 west of Sorong we headed for a deep bay on the northeast end of Batanta that was reputed to be awash in hornbills. We saw 3. However, there must have been over a hundred fruit bats circling as they relocated from tree to tree. These guys are big. Really big. I mean BIG. With the new and outrageously expensive stabilized, 14 power binoculars (if you're going to squander assets, may as well be on really cool toys) we could see the expressions on their foxy faces like we were inside their formation. It's a good thing they're not carnivores and/or most of us are not fruits or vegetables. OK, we've met a few kumquats, but they're a rare exception.

On to Manta Sandy where, oddly enough, we hope to see mantas and sand. Pretty confident about the sand.

Jack
Comments
Vessel Name: Anthem
Vessel Make/Model: 1997 Hylas 46
Hailing Port: Weeki Wachee, FL
Crew: Jack Warren, Janice Holmes disgraceful.twaddle@gmail.com
About:
Jack: Formerly productive member of the community as a Northwest Airlines Captain who retired to become a drain on, and embarrassment to, polite society. [...]
Extra:
While I will be delighted if anyone else enjoys these excursions into semi-intelligible foolishness, the primary purpose is personal amusement. This is not travelogue, cruising guide or philosophical exploration of anything in particular, merely random musing of a slightly twisted mind. Despite [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anthem
Anthem's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 January 2017
Waterfall, etc.
5 Photos
Created 19 May 2009

S/V Anthem

Who: Jack Warren, Janice Holmes disgraceful.twaddle@gmail.com
Port: Weeki Wachee, FL
For a better map select "View Tracking" and click "+" below "Google" left lower of Sailblogs map. Download .kml file and open with Google Earth. See full profile for information on why this mess is being foisted upon an innocent world and for information on contact. Don't be a stranger.
page visitor counter
who is online counter blog counter