Aquamarine

18 August 2009 | kafalonia, greece
07 June 2009 | 1700 miles from Marquesis
28 May 2009 | San Cristobal, Galapagos
08 May 2009 | Shelter Bay Marina
19 April 2009 | WADERICK WELLS CAY
15 April 2009 | Big Major Spot
16 March 2009 | Atholl Island, Bahamas
16 March 2009 | Nassau, Bahamas
06 March 2009 | Hurricane Hole Marina Nassau, Bahamas
16 February 2009

pacific to med.....

18 August 2009 | kafalonia, greece
shawn
Sitting next to a fountain with big goldfish and watching a couple look over the railing at the water and fishes... the gentleman happens to be on the clock at this wonderful little greek establishment.

Yes GReek. and it is all greek to me, except the sailing. it is beautiful. The Cyclades, our first landing into GReece, has some fierce winds this time of year. A high pressure builds in Russian and pushes a strong wind down through the Cyclades Islands at an average rate of 28 knots. That means that at times we were caught in 45-50 kts of wind. This is a lot of wind even for a double reefed main and double reefed inner jib. Another day at the office.

We are now sailing a 62' Sunreef. The 65' Privilege that took us safely across the Pacific is in our past. We were offered a position in the Med on a charter boat....which is great because now we are running a business together per say.

So far we have faced the Meltemi of the Cyclades. We had two americans on charter who brought with them two road bikes and 8 bottles of very expensive red wine. We trucked them all over the Cyclades dropping and picking up in great locations. The Meltemi wind is something to consider none the less. The strong wind down from Russia. The boat goes great but there was a builders flaw that creates a heaving, buckling effect in the sole of the main salon. The floor lifts 4-8 inches on any given 2-3 meter wave. We have learned to stay away from a close haul on Zahora during Force 7 or 8. Fall off, fall off.... not off the boat, off the wind. We don't go too close to the wind in force 7+...

As for us. We are getting used to the boat and working the boat together. By now we are much clearer about our roles on board. To the point we have to leave our jobs to actually go see each other. No doubt things are getting done here. I always get real close to Amy around dinner. She is cooking up some creative stuff that is delicious. Bravo my lovely wife. Bravo

We miss our family. A strange relationship with the sub conscious though. We seem to be thinking about our friends and family throughout the day. Small thought but very clear. Just goes to show how basic these people are to our life.

More to come everybody. Sorry we have not been keeping up on this one. Good night from the peaceful waters of the Ionian Islands. We just finished a charter with a Spanish group. They had a great time, very dynamic group.

The photo was a night in Athens from our cheap hotel room. Just so happened it was on the roof top..... Beautiful view of the Acroplis...


Comments
Vessel Name: Marie-Helene
Vessel Make/Model: Privilege 65'
Hailing Port: Oostende
Crew: Shawn Griffith and Amy Griffith Redfern
About: We are a Captain and Chef/Mate team thrilled to be doing this work together out on the open water. Keep up with our adventures as we sail this lovely boat around the Caribbean and then to the southern hemisphere across the Pacific this year and beyond!

Marie Helene

Who: Shawn Griffith and Amy Griffith Redfern
Port: Oostende