Archer Adventures

Onboard "Jet-Lagged"

Northern Spain

What a lovely part of the world! A spectacular coastline with beautiful bays and delightful fishing villages.

We left Sada Marina and headed south with “IP” crewed by Peter and Iris from Sweden and “Jack Pine” crewed by Dave and Merrydee from Canada.

IP pulled into a small bay to spend the night in Corme while Jet Lagged and Jack Pine carried on to the next bay and anchored off Camarinas. At which point the locals opened fire! Or at least I thought they did. It turns out that the way they celebrate the afternoon of Easter Sunday is by blasting off smoke grenades over the bay from the marina wall. Quick change of undies required…

The next day was pretty exciting sailing. The wind was gusting to 30 knots and the seas were pretty big. We had two reefs in the main and the jib at 75%. Jet Lagged was still getting to 10 knots which is not bad for this large bottomed lady. She happily surfed her way down the coast and handled the wind and waves really well.

We sailed on to Muros, a gorgeous 13th century village where we hid from the worsening weather for a couple of days. Here we met up with Marcel and Karen, our Kiwi friends on “Kiri Maia” who had left Les Sables a couple of weeks ahead of us. IP and Jack Pine joined us in Muros and we enjoyed being tourists for a while.

IP and Kiri Maia have now sailed on to Porto and Jet-Lagged and Jack Pine have pulled into Baiona.

We are at a yacht club with a really long Spanish name that I cannot pronounce, so let’s call it M.Y.R.C.B. The club sits under a magnificent castle and it has a proud boating history. Three times a yacht from this club has competed in the Americas Cup. The club also has a great bar and fireplace for cold sailors!

The town of Baiona is where Christopher Columbus first sailed back to announce his discovery of the new world. To celebrate this, a replica of his ship La Pinta sits just in front of the club. A pretty town with lots of history and some bloody good tapas!

We will refill the tanks and fridges today and then off to Portugal tomorrow.

Comments