Ardbeg

01 August 2017
31 July 2017
30 July 2017
27 July 2017
26 July 2017
24 July 2017
23 July 2017
23 July 2017
21 July 2017
20 July 2017
19 July 2017 | Rimouski
18 July 2017
17 July 2017
16 July 2017
15 July 2017
14 July 2017
13 July 2017
12 July 2017
11 July 2017

Lac St Pierre

26 July 2017
We departed Trois Rivieres at 600am to take on the Lake today hoping to arrive a Sorel for the night. The current was tough against us and we made 2-3 knots only thru Trois Rivieres harbour to the bridge. It was a struggle and we had 10 knot winds on the nose. After a couple hours we reached Lac St Pierre and put the sails up. The lake requires a zig zag as there is no water depth in most of the lake. The first leg we were able to get a wind angle on the port side for a couple miles then for the rest of the 20 mile trip we had the wind on the nose. Took the jib down to maintain a straighter course. The lake was uneventful, it was a sunny day, but speeds were slow. The usual freighters and fishing boats. Quite a lot of little dick boat traffic as well. As we neared the end of the lake we headed south and figured the wind would become more favourable. Every buoy we passed and there was more of an angle. The wind followed us around just to keep on the nose. We were seeing 2-3 knots and felt like we were stuck in the mud. We finally make it to Sorel, our destination, but the wind picked up in our favour. Also sailboats out on the water. Next thing you know we are three sailboats abreast and flying 7-8 knots. That encouraged us to try to make it further on the day instead of stopping at the great resto in the Sorel Harbour. (Steak Tartare on the way down river). So we flew by a number of anchored freighters and the requisite industrial plants and turned the corner again. BANG. Wind over. We watched the other sailboats sailing and beating back and forth across the river making it 50 years every tack. Not for us. We decided to make a run for Contrecoeur for the night. It was slow and boring going up the river but finally we made it and found an anchorage hidden behind an island where we could not see or here the industrial heart land of Quebec behind us in Contrecoeur. We anchored in 14 feet of water with a 2 knot current about 100 yards from a weed lot full of bull frogs. It was raining a bit but we enjoyed listening too the frogs. We were alone. Occasionally a Great Blue Heron would let out a cry or a fish would jump out of the water beside the boat. BBQ dinner then bed. Hopefully Montreal tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ardbeg
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 375
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Ardbeg's Photos - Main
Random photos from Portsmouth to Isles de la Madeleine June-Aug 2017
15 Photos
Created 12 June 2017