A gale is forecast to pass through our waters Thursday night through Friday forcing us to alter our plans. We skipped Morehead City today, and instead enjoyed a beautiful sail to Cape Lookout Bight. We'll rest here ahead of our 80nm sail tomorrow to Masonboro Inlet and Wrightsville Beach. Meanwhile, we're cozy below decks with the heater running. Tammy's taking a cold shower (sorry, hon!). Later dinner then a movie. Sleep early because we must rise at 0300.
Yes, that's why we're at Cape Lookout Bight today, besides the fact that it's a gorgeous spot. In order to reach Masonboro Inlet before dark, we must weigh anchor here at 0300. It is very easy to navigate out of this anchorage in the dark, so it is important that we stage ourselves here ahead of tomorrow's sail. Temperatures tonight are forecast to drop into the low 40s. Oh, goodie! On the plus side, winds are forecast 10-15kts North, so we should have a lovely broad reach all the way across Onslow Bay.
On Thursday, from Wrightsville Beach, we will travel via the Intracoastal Waterway to Southport, arriving ahead of the gale. We'll spend Thursday and Friday in Southport, waiting out the gale. As a bonus, Ben and Marguerite are coming down from Raleigh Friday evening, so we'll have some company. By Saturday morning, the gale should have cleared through, and we'll sail offshore to Little River, ending our spring cruise.
Unless of course, the forecast is wrong...
I shot a video of the anchorage, which for some reason we have all to ourselves. Go figure! You can view it by clicking here
, or going to Aria's youtube channel at right.