Ariel At Home

11 March 2011 | Turks and Caicos
25 February 2011 | Southside Marina, Turks and Caicos
24 February 2011 | Southside Marina, Turks and Caicos
24 February 2011 | Southside Marina, Turks and Caicos
23 February 2011 | Turks and Caicos
22 February 2011 | Turks and Caicos
21 February 2011 | Horse Pond Bay, Mayaguana
21 February 2011 | Horse Shoe Pond, Mayaguana
19 February 2011 | Horse Shoe Pond, Mayaguana
16 February 2011 | Sumner Marina, Rum Cay
12 February 2011 | Port Nelson, Rum Cay
11 February 2011 | Hawke’s Nest Marina, Cat Island
10 February 2011 | Half Moon Bay (Little San Salvador)
09 February 2011 | Rock Sound Eleuthera
08 February 2011 | Alice Town in Hatchet Bay
07 February 2011 | Royal Island Eleuthera
06 February 2011 | Royal Island Eleuthera
05 February 2011 | Leaving Grand Bahama Yacht Club
04 February 2011 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
04 February 2011 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club

A Day at Royal Island

07 February 2011 | Royal Island Eleuthera
Deborah
Feb 7, 2100 Monday
The jagged white and black coral stand guard ready to fend off the advancing turquoise waves. The coral is unfriendly especially to the hull of a boat or dinghy. The waves crash and lash against the shore in a final onslaught, spouting a white fountain that quickly floods back into the water.
The anatomy of a wave is defined as: “A wave is not water in motion; it is simply stationary water with energy passing through it.” The waves moved rhythmically past the cockpit as I consumed my coffee. Today my teachers were the wind, the waves and the tides, the currents and the moon. The instruction was brief, constant and unforgiving. Second chances for the preferred reaction were few. Errors were deadly, not easily forgiven. “Pay attention!” was the directive. “Nature is speaking and a mere human such as yourself needs to listen.
This location designated where navy sea meets blue-green water - the Atlantic Ocean touches Southern New Province Sound was truly the edge of the world. The dark colored water sliced an edge and graciously gave way to the swallow blue-green water. The result was a unique under water world full of shallow depths and visible treasures from Nature. All manner of fish and fauna were visible to the naked eye. At times the view was uncanny. Large starfish moved along the bottom. Flying fish leaped out of the water. Coral rested on the seabed. Jellyfish hovered. Seaweed floated past. All the while I observed the coral walls. I heard the warning, “Do not be lured by the beauty of the color or her inhabitants, for her shallow depths disguised coral that would gouge even the thickest hull of a boat. Natured blended beauty and peril with giving and taking. Nature demanded respect.
Pelican Rose, earned the name the Little Trawler that Can, as she motored into the anchorage at Royal Island this morning as we finished our coffee. She completed the trek from Lucaya to Royal Island and her crew was prepared for a well-earned rest. Our Buddy Boat arrived.
Our decision to spend the day at Royal Island proved prudent. My boat jobs were of a cleaning nature head and galley, (washroom and kitchen). Maintaining a lovely smelling head (washroom) was a challenge every boater faces. Ariel’s head smells great – lavender, with the assistance of Mrs Meyer’s cleaning products. I love that lady! The floorboards were raised and the hull was sprayed with Presto. I was combating the effects of being heeled over during our sail. Meanwhile Captain Ed attacked the bilge pump. Again the result of being heeled for hours with waves washing the decks caused all manner of lost stuff to head for the bilge. Ed cleaned wood chips, plastic wire, cable ties, paint chips etc from the filter. To be certain the bilge was once again pristine, he vacuumed the bilge with the wet/dry vacuum. The bilge had a filter that plugged with “Treasures” so Ed secured a yellow mesh bag, from lemons, around the filter to hold the “stuff” at bay. And you thought we just lazed around drinking cocktails decked out with umbrellas all day!
The anchor chain groaned indicating a change in wind and we feel Ariel swing. The forecast predicted a change in wind direction from East to Southeast at 15 knots to North, probably during the night. The anchor alarm was set to monitor all changes and alert us if the anchor dragged from her original setting of 100 feet from the bow of the boat to the place where it was last seen, digging into the seabed. The anchor and alarm were on the job.
Ed plunged into the cool Bahamian water to cool off after his bilge assignment. Peter stopped by in his dingy for a quick weather conference and accepted an invitation to return later with ThaiLyn for supper.
The evening’s fare was a steak barbeque, rice and a medley of vegetables. A fine offering from the SV Ariel. Being boaters, the evening ended early with the promise of an early departure to Hatchet Bay. The sun set on another wonderful day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Ariel At Home
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana/Cutter
Hailing Port: Picton, Ontario
Crew: Ed Close/Deb Arnold

On The Waves

Who: Ed Close/Deb Arnold
Port: Picton, Ontario